Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

STOBCROSS QUAY, STOBCROSS CRANE, OTHERWISE KNOWN AS FINNIESTON CRANELB33285

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
14/04/1989
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 57103 65151
Coordinates
257103, 665151

Description

1926, completed 1931 by Cowans Sheldon and Co Ltd under the

supervision of Daniel Fife Mechanical Engineer to the Clyde

Navigation Trust. 175 ton giant cantilever quayside crane.

Lattice, steel girder tower, with the only example of a

personnel lift ever fitted to a British crane; the tower

supports a roller track on which rotates the asymmetrical

cantilever truss gib with motor room and counter weight at

the short end. The only British crane ever fitted with a

horizontal rail for the Jigger hoist handling light loads.

Statement of Special Interest

In March 1928 proposals to build a high level of bridge over

the Clyde, which would have seriously interfered with the

working of the Clyde Navigation Trusts Finnieston crane, led

to the commissioning of a new crane 500 feet downstream for

which the Corporation agreed to pay 85% of the $69,000 plus,

cost. The bridge was not built but the Trustees got their

crane. It is also of considerable interest that Arrols, the

local firm and the one with the greatest experience in the

field of giant cantilevered cranes did not win the contract.

Of the 42 or so giant cantilever cranes built throughout the

world Arrols constructed 40. In Britain 27 of these giant

cranes were built, 15 survive, 7 only remain in Scotland.

The Stobcross Crane, apart from the original features noted,

is one of only 3 cranes of the type built for port

authorities. Because of its prominent site it symbolises

more than any of the others, Glasgow's past industrial

greatness. It is not (1988) in full working order.

References

Bibliography

Information from Mr Brian Newman. THE DOCK AND HARBOUR

AUTHORITY 1932 August No 142 vol xii pp 2-7.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to STOBCROSS QUAY, STOBCROSS CRANE, OTHERWISE KNOWN AS FINNIESTON CRANE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/05/2019 15:47