Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

158-168 (EVEN NOS) WEST REGENT STREET AND 237 WEST CAMPBELL STREET (FORMER JOHN ROSS MEMORIAL CHURCH FOR THE DEAF AND INSTITUTE FOR ADULT DEAF AND DUMB)LB33278

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
15/12/1970
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 58587 65732
Coordinates
258587, 665732

Description

CHURCH: Norman A Dick (Burnet Son and Dick) circa 1929.

INSTITUTE: Robert Duncan 1893-4. The 2 buildings integrated.

6 x 5 bays 3 storeys and basement. Polished ashlar plinth.

Sash and case window with plate glass. Ground floor cornice;

1st floor cornice forming 2nd floor cill band; plain eaves

entablature; slate roof.

ELEVATION TO WEST GEORGE STREET: church; 3 western bays,

advanced in centre and ground floor outer bays; ogee

hoodmoulded entrance with label stops, blocked archivolt,

flanked by 2 narrow hoodmoulded lights; outer bays plain

recessed margined windows repeated at 1st floor with string

courses between. 1st floor central applied gable surmounted

by cross, flanked by tabernacles with corbels rising through

buttresses; plain 2 and 1-light regular 2nd floor lights.

INSTITUTE: 3 eastern bays to West George Street; canted outer

bays; through ground and 1st floors; central entrance at head

of steps oversailing basement area, flanking polygonal piers,

corniced gablet enclosing, with ball finials; arched entry

with coupled colonettes, sculpted archivolt; raised,

architraved panel above with antefixae and acroterion,

lettering "INSTITUTE FOR ADULT DEAF AND DUMB" Outer bays

ground floor with moulded cill band, panelled aprons,

margined windows, repeated above with decorated pilaster

strips and arched windows; 3rd floor solid decorated

balconies, recessed windows with pilaster mullions;

pepper-pot turrets rising through steep hipped roof.

ELEVATION TO WEST CAMPBELL STREET: bays arranged 1-3-1 with

lower entrance bay to N, blank 1st bay from S with panelling,

large stack at gable head with antefixae.

Central bays: ground floor shallow canted centre bay with

pilaster mullioned window, plain single-light window to left;

blank 1st floor with lettered frieze "INSTITUTE FOR ADULT

DEAF AND DUMB 1893"; 3 plain recessed margined windows in 2nd

bay from N; ground floor 3-light window with pilaster

mullions; plain single-light window with recess margins on

each upper floor; pedimented gable with antefixae and

diminutive apex pediment; pedimented, arched entrance bay to

N blank at 1st floor, tall narrow, corniced wallhead stack

3rd bay from N.

Statement of Special Interest

Church designed to have Billiard Room below; new Board Room

designed 1929. Converted to design office 1989/90.

References

Bibliography

B, Feb 3 1894. S R Archives, D of G 1929/233.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 158-168 (EVEN NOS) WEST REGENT STREET AND 237 WEST CAMPBELL STREET (FORMER JOHN ROSS MEMORIAL CHURCH FOR THE DEAF AND INSTITUTE FOR ADULT DEAF AND DUMB)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/05/2022 12:25