A N Paterson (Campbell Douglas and Paterson), 1908-10.
Edwardian Baroque. 5-storeys and attic, sunk basement, 3 x 5
main bays. Polished ashlar, channelled at ground floor. 1st
floor deep corbelled balustraded balcony broken at 1st bay
from E, Nelson Mandela Place; modillion cornice; balustraded
parapet with raised, corniced dies. Open pedimented,
keyblocked aedicule windows at angles in attic.
ELEVATION TO NELSON MANDELA PLACE: giant open segmentally
pedimented central doorpiece with lion mask corbels, plain
flanking lights. 1st and 2nd floor shallow canted central
tripartite bay flanked by vertically linked bipartite
windows; ground floor windows corniced with incised
architraves; 1st and 2nd in decorative architraves, 3rd floor
2-light, architraved windows with stone transomes; 4th floor
architraved single lights.
ELEVATION TO BUCHANAN STREET: repeats Nelson Mandela Place
window arrangement with central advanced 3-bay section
flanked by pilaster strips.
INTERIOR: finishes by Wylie and Lochhead with Guthrie Wells
and Scott Morton; plasterwork by George Bankart.