Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

75-95 (ODD NOS) UNION STREET, CALEDONIAN CHAMBERSLB33204

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
15/12/1970
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 58812 65265
Coordinates
258812, 665265

Description

James Miller, 1903, sculpture by Albert Hodge. 6-storey

Edwardian classical commercial building with modern shops at

ground floor; 13 bays, single outer bays raised. Polished

ashlar with granite base banded at main entrance. Segmental

pedimented doorpiece with sculpted tympanum at No 87 Union

Street. 2-storey, balustraded aedicule above with keyblocked, round-headed windows in channelled cavetto recess. All

windows sash and case in architraves, glazing bars in upper

sashes.

OUTER BAYS: Ionic pilastered windows with bracket capitals at

1st floor flanked by crouching atlantes supporting 2-storey

coupled columned gigantic aedicule; double-height recessed,

canted bay 2nd and 3rd floors, corniced projecting podium,

broken segmental pediment with sculpted tympanum surmounted

by crown; 2 storeys of deeply recessed, flat inner bays 4th

and 5th floors in 2-storey keyblocked arch with sculpted

bracketted pilasters; 6th floor eaves gallery with Doric

columns; eaves frieze, mutule cornice; giant pedestals above

with central, sculpted pier.

CENTRAL BAYS: ground floor cornice; 1st and 2nd floors with

2nd and 4th bays from ends canted; flat bays with windows in

linked architraves; balcony to 3rd floor, swept back in

centre with sculpted coat of arms; windows in architraves

with broken segmental pediments and sculpted tympana; giant

order of semi-engaged Roman Ionic colonnettes; moulded cill

band to 5th floor with 2-light windows with Ionic column

mullions; bold mutule cornice; wrought-iron balustrade to

attic floor in front of 2-light windows with stone mullions;

eaves cornice projecting between bays.

Statement of Special Interest

Built for Caledonian Railway Company, including Railway

Offices.

References

Bibliography

B J Nov 28, 1906. Gomme and Walker, 1968, p. 296. S R

Archives D of G 1/8334.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 75-95 (ODD NOS) UNION STREET, CALEDONIAN CHAMBERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/05/2022 12:51