Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

518 SAUCHIEHALL STREET AND 333 RENFREW STREETLB33198

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
15/12/1970
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 58070 66016
Coordinates
258070, 666016

Description

John Keppie (Honeyman and Keppie), 1903. Early Renaissance;

4-storey, 3-bay, gable fronted office building with early

19th century rear building attached at 1st floor level.

ELEVATION TO SAUCHIEHALL STREET: 1st and 2nd floor windows

sash and case with 8-pane glazing in upper sash and 2-pane

glazing in lower; 1st floor mutule cornice. 1st floor windows curvilinear sculpted architraves with keystones, sculpted

pilasters, keystoned heads, shaped in centre bay,

semi-circular in outer bays. 2nd floor: continuous moulded

cill band; flanking polygonal piers with sculpted corbels in

outer bays; architraved corbelled windows; 2nd floor cornice

becoming semi-circular bracketted podiums on either side of

centre bay and supporting 2 sculpted seated figures. 3 blind

bays to 3rd floor with architraved panels and pilastraded

central bay. Shaped gable with sculpted relief supporting

1-bay architraved aedicule with keystoned, semi-circular

head. Plain eaves frieze and cornice.

REAR BUILDING: 3-storey, 3-bay house. Painted ashlar. Ground

floor band. 2nd floor moulded cill band. All windows sash and

case, T-pane with 8 panes in upper sash, architraves to 1st

floor dropped to band. Slate roof. Straight skews with 2

gable stacks.

INTERIOR OF REAR BUILDING: 1st floor drawing room with column

screen and Carron Company hob grate cast-iron fireplace with

Adamitic surround.

Statement of Special Interest

Rear building probably part of former Albany Terrace.

Formerly T and R Annan's studio.

References

Bibliography

Howarth, Mackintosh. HISTORIC BUILDINGS AT WORK, Scottish

Civic Trust, 1983; A A 1904. B J 28 Nov, 1906.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 518 SAUCHIEHALL STREET AND 333 RENFREW STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 14/11/2019 19:51