James Smith 1855, dome and shop fronts by Frank Burnet and
Boston 1904. Redeveloped behind the facade (after fire) 1988.
Rear building by A B Macdonald 1913-14. Polished ashlar with
marble shop front. 3-storey exhibition gallery and department
store. 9 x 31 x 10 bays occupying whole block with cupola
dome on SE corner of Sauchiehall Street and Blythswood Street
and 2-storey, 8-bay addition to Renfrew Street at rear. Main
entrance to galleries vestibule and shop with sculpted,
segmental pedimented doorpiece (1913-14), stepped double
pilasters and sculpted relief in tympanum and niche above
with sculpted supporters and bust on pedestal (bust by
Mossman, reused from original building) surmounted by broken
segmental pediment with relief. 1st floor cill band stopping
at entry to No 2 Dalhousie Street. Mutule cornice. Eaves
string course. Corniced ridge stacks. Slate roof. All windows
sash and case in architraves with plate glass.
ELEVATION TO SAUCHIEHALL STREET: 10-11-10 bays with centre
section breaking forward. 1st floor windows consoled with
segmental pediments in central section and triangular
pediments in centre 4 bays of outer sections. 2nd floor
windows with cills, consoled and corniced. Blocking course to
western section; parapet with piers to central and eastern
Polygonal dome at SE corner (Rose Street/ Sauchiehall Street)
with broken segmental pedimented aedicule windows with
sculpted tympana and alternate arched windows with sculpted
ELEVATION TO ROSE STREET: 10 bays and single storey entrance
bay at No 7 with architraved doorpiece, cornice and parapet.
2 floors of consoled and corniced windows pedimented on 1st
floor above Doric pilastered doorway with triglyph frieze at
No 5 Rose Street.
ELEVATION TO DALHOUSIE STREET: 9 bays arranged 5-4.
Channelled masonry in last 4 return bays from S. Single
storey entrance bay at No 6 Dalhousie Street similar to No 7
Rose Street. Channelled projecting solid portico with
roundheaded arch and keystone at No 2 Dalhousie Street. 1st 4
return bays from S breaking forward with 4 consoled and
corniced windows on each floor. Next 5 bays, ground floor
stepped up in 2 bays above entry with 5 consoled and corniced
windows - on cill band in stepped bays and with cills in
outer bays; pediment in 3rd bay from N; 5 margined windows on
ELEVATION TO RENFREW STREET: 2 storeys, 8 bays. Polished
ashlar with rusticated base. 1 storey projecting from main
section with mutule cornice and flat, recessed casement
windows. Architraved entrance at No 147 and No 149 Renfrew
Street. Giant quoined sections with sculpted panels in
projecting outer bays of main section with sculpted reliefs,
dentil cornice, and parapet with swags flanking blind central
section with 3 sculpted panels. 'City of Glasgow' motifs
flanking inscription 'McLellan Galleries'. Eaves frieze,
INTERIOR: cast-iron columns with free Renaissance capitals;
gallery at 2nd floor panelled with Corinthian columned marble
and brass chimneypiece.
GALLERIES: top-lit landing with columnar screens and
pilasters; series of top-lit galleries. Elaborate marbled
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.