Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

119-121 (ODD NOS) SAUCHIEHALL STREET, HOPE STREET AND BATH STREET AND INCLUDING ARCH OVER SAUCHIEHALL LANELB33170

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
21/07/1988
Last Date Amended
18/07/2002
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 58806 65755
Coordinates
258806, 665755

Description

2-part offices and department store with linking archway. Materially en suite:

NORTH BUILDING: (NS 5881 6578):

Alec S Heathcote of Manchester, 1914. 4-storey classical corner building, 3- by 8-bays, with podium-effect and with twin Italianate towers to Sauchiehall Street. Lower floors united materially with glass curtain wall to street (display windows) with fluted dividing metal frieze and deep polished granite fascia above 1st floor, creating apparently airy podium for more solid super-structure. 2nd and 3rd floors united in red sandstone ashlar with channelled pilaster strips and giant order piers between floors dividing bays, entablature (mutuled cornice) and blocking course.

N (SAUCHIEHALL STREET) ELEVATION: 3-bay principal elevation. Modern alteration at ground to centre. 2nd and 3rd floors with recessed tripartite window to centre, outer lights blind with stylised capitals to giant order dividing piers, metal bands dividing floors with saltire to centre apron, decorative bronze railings shielding recess. Outer bays rising as pyramidally-roofed corner towers with channelled quoins, narrow windows and carved saltire panels; square towerheads with tripartite windows and blank, panel and sheild aprons; metal roofs and flagpole finials.

E (HOPE STREET) ELEVATION: 8-bay. Ground and 1st floor in continuous bands of display windows with entrances to outer bays. 2nd and 3rd floors with 5 broad windowed bays to centre, flanked by narrow windows, giant order piers dividing (as N elevation), and floors divided by metal band. Ashlar outer bays of masonry, channelled quoins, carved panels. Panelled tablet over centre bay. Outer tower bay to right detailed as N elevation.

Plate glass glazing in metal casement windows. Grey slates, coped brick stacks with cans.

INTERIOR: some decorative cornices and panelled dadoes in situ.

ARCHWAY: linking North and South buildings over Sauchiehall Lane facing Hope Street. Classical red sandstone ashlar monumental semicircular arch, spanning between 2nd and 3rd floors, framed by channelled quoins of adjoining buildings, with keystone and tripartite window to enclosed passage above. Blocking course continuous with North building.

SOUTH BUILDING: (NS 5880 6575): A Graham Henderson (Keppie Henderson), 1929. Art Deco. 4-storeywarehouse, 3 x 5 unequal bays. Polished red ashlar, rusticated in outer bays flanking windows, polished granite ground floor with plate glass shop windows and fascia. Metal casement windows and frieze between floors cast by Walter Macfarlane & Co.

ELEVATION TO BATH STREET: wide central, narrow outer bays with continuous glazing rising to incised frieze and pierced parapet. Central bay shallow canted flanked by quarter round fluted strips, projecting eaves cornice.

ELEVATION TO HOPE STREET: similar detailing, 3 wide central bays divided by incised piers; narrow outer bays with bipartite glazing set in cavetto recesses.

INTERIOR: timber-lined walls. Coffered, corniced ceilings. Wrought-iron double-lift shaft.

Statement of Special Interest

The Watt Brothers building, comprising offices and department store and arch over Sauchiehall Lane.

References

Bibliography

S R Archives D of G 1929/214. Williamson, Riches & Higgs GLASGOW (1990), p.240.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 119-121 (ODD NOS) SAUCHIEHALL STREET, HOPE STREET AND BATH STREET AND INCLUDING ARCH OVER SAUCHIEHALL LANE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 08/12/2021 03:53