Alexander Thomson (A and G Thomson) 1857-59. Greek Revival individually interpreted. Rectangular temple plan with lower aisles raised on full-storey podium containing halls and other apartments with graduated
plinth; tall rectangular tower at NE, linked to lower section and breaking into main body of church behind temple front. Ashlar. Hexastyle fluted Ionic temple fronts to N and S; entablature; pediment with antefixae and acroterion; dwarf-pilastered clerestory with ramped
blind openings to returns; pilastered aisles.
Ground floor outer bays: symmetrical anta, pedimented doorpieces set in die walls with linking entablature; dwarf pilastraded narrow windows in central bays.
W RETURN TO PITT STREET IN SLOPE OF HILL RISING TO FULL BASEMENT: recessed, consoled side entrance; ground floor continuous architraved small windows with paterae repeated at rear elevation. Pedimented doorpiece set in glazed pilastrade to rear elevation.
TOWER: banded ashlar; ramped openings with recessed, anta mullion; oblong openings with anthemion on panel. Consoled recessed panel; clock faces; ramped door in each direction; pinnacles; bell-shaped cupola on squat column colonnade, upper part open ribs.
INTERIOR: unusual internal arrangement - the floor of the church is contained in the upper part of the substructure, only the gallery level and above are within the "temple". Galleries and clerestory supported
on stylised Greek cast-iron columns; end walls with pilaster decoration; pulpit set in panelling; coffered ceiling decorations.