A N Paterson, begun 1906. Phyllis Archibald, sculptor.
5-storey and attic commercial building with ground floor
banking hall (remodelled by Watson and Salmond 1936-37)
and offices on upper floors. Beaux Arts classical. 5 bays
arranged 1-3-1. Steel framed, white ashlar faced; glazed
brick rear elevation with metal framed windows in shallow
canted bays. Central bays: main bank entrance in centre,
architrave enclosing simple decoration, headed with
sculpted escutcheon; corbelled fanlight; bronze doors
with relief frieze above "IN PATRIAM FIDELIS", flanking
metal framed windows. Central bays above ground floor
cill band, plain 12-pane sash and case windows in
architraves to 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors, elliptically
headed with keyblocks at 3rd, sculpted panels between
bays supporting simple cornice; 4th floor plain windows
with 9-pane glazing; consoled cornice coupled in central
bays; dentil band; mutule cornice; attic with central
open pedimented, round headed window with sculpted
tympanum flanked by keyblocked windows, panelled piers
between bays; raised parapet.
OUTER BAYS: symmetrical, with entrance to upper floors
to S at No 24, carved timber, recessed, arched doorpiece.
One-third height architraves; figure sculptures above
ground floor representing Prudence, Adventure, Commerce
and Security flanking small keyblocked lights; outer
pilaster strips rising to 3rd floor; plain narrow windows
with 8-pane glazing to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd floors in
projecting aedicules with open pediments and sculpted
tympana at 3rd floor. 4th floor windows with richly
sculpted surrounds; balustraded balconies in front of
elliptically headed dormers. Corniced end stacks.
BANK INTERIOR GROUND FLOOR: marble-lined, pilastered and
square pillared banking hall, carved timber counter,
fittings, and some original furniture.