Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

60-64 (EVEN NOS) ROBERTSON STREETLB33114

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
10/02/1986
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 58608 65083
Coordinates
258608, 665083

Description

Steel and Balfour, 1902-05 with 2 later storeys. Retained facades of tall 6-storey, 5-bay commercial building. Brick with red sandstone ashlar frontage painted at ground floor, channelled pilasters or piers divide all bays. Tall

central entrance rising into 1st floor, Doric columns support entablature recessed over lintel, wrought and cast-iron gate and screen; large semi-circular arched window above with keystone supporting 2-storey oriel. Canted shop windows in inner (removed), wide entrances in outer

ground floor bays, shallow segmental headed 1st floor windows, bipartites 2nd and 3rd with fruit swags between. Main modillion cornice with open segmental pediment. 2 later storeys, central bay marked by banded pilasters; outer 4th floor windows with shallow segmental heads and key-blocked; 5th floor windows recessed behind Doric columned screen. Block cornice. Panelled parapet to centre removed when incorporated into hotel development.

Statement of Special Interest

Built for William McLeod and Co Metal Merchants and founders' factors. Condition rapidly deteriorating, with a great deal of vegetation at eaves level and above (February). Retained facade incorporated into Radisson Hotel development, completed April 2003.

References

Bibliography

RIBA Fellowship nomination papers Andrew Balfour 11 June 1906.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 60-64 (EVEN NOS) ROBERTSON STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/05/2022 10:53