Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

167 RENFREW STREET AND 11, 15 DALHOUSIE STREET, GLASGOW SCHOOL OF ARTLB33105

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
06/07/1966
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 58435 65970
Coordinates
258435, 665970

Description

Charles Rennie Mackintosh, (Honeyman and Keppie), E section, 1897. W section, 1907-9 (Honeyman, Keppie and Mackintosh). Art Nouveau. 2 storeys and basement; 4-storey return and S elevations. Polished ashlar, harled rear elevation, snecked rubble returns.

N ELEVATION TO RENFREW STREET: 8 bays, arranged 3-1-4 with single bay entrance at head of steps oversailing glazed basement area. Entrance with sculpted architrave, stylised cornice raised in centre with insignia; canted window to left with multiple geometric glazing bars. 1st floor balcony with wrought-iron balustrade, segmental headed pediment over 2-light window; canted window with independent eaves to left, narrow loop above recessed 2nd floor window with parapet in front; simple, raised polygonal turret to left. Outer bays: plain windows

double-height above ground, with glazing bars. Bold eaves cornice.

E ELEVATION TO DALHOUSIE STREET: shaped parapet wall to No 11; door with block lintel, fanlight above; central canted oriel projecting at 2nd and 3rd floor with varied windows in deep reveals; rising to corniced turret at

eaves. Plain basement and ground floor windows; bipartite window with segmental pediment above at 1st floor. 2 windows with linked, bowed cill at 2nd floor.

W ELEVATION TO SCOTT STREET: 6 bays. Polished ashlar basement and ground and upper floors in 3 W bays, otherwise snecked rubble. Wrought-iron grille to sub-basement. Shaped parapet wall to entrance with boldly

stepped architrave. Ground floor projecting stylised oriel windows with leaded lights. 3 S bays tall narrow leaded windows lighting library; canted, partially glazed sections above.

REAR ELEVATION SW RETURN: partly recessed leaded windows to ground floor, ashlar dressed central section above, centrally glazed overhanging, corbelled corridor. Boundary wall with piers, wrought-iron railings.

INTERIOR: Original Glasgow School detailing throughout. Library to W with original fittings and furniture.

References

Bibliography

Gomme and Walker 1968 pp 215-18, 294. Howarth "MACKINTOSH" 1977 (ed) p 69-92. Doak (ed) 1977 No 146. S.R. Archives D of G 1/7267, 2/1964.

Billcliffe R, CHARLES RENNIE MACKINTOSH. THE COMPLETE FURNITURE, FURNITURE DRAWINGS AND INTERIOR DESIGN, 1979

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 167 RENFREW STREET AND 11, 15 DALHOUSIE STREET, GLASGOW SCHOOL OF ART

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 23/07/2019 10:00