There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 22/03/1977
- Supplementary Information Updated: 27/05/2010
- Local Authority: Glasgow
- Planning Authority: Glasgow
- Burgh: Glasgow
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NS 58930 65845
- Coordinates: 258930, 665845
Bertie Crewe, 1902-4. Striking 3-storey French Baroque theatre on prominent corner site with square-plan corner turrets with slated pyramidal roofs to corner and Renfrew Street. Buff terracotta with profusion of decorative sculpted panels.
RENFIELD STREET ELEVATION: 3 3-light pilastered main bays with narrow central dividing bays. Recessed central entrance with later canopy. Set of 3 2-leaf part-glazed entrance doors. Storeys divided by cornices. Main bays with 1st floor with windows divided by floating aprons, oculi windows to top storey with segmental pediments with richly sculpted tympana. Stepped parapet to bays. Lettering 'PAVILION' over centre between 1st and 2nd storeys with flanking blue and gold mosaic panels. Large 'PAVILION¿ sign attached vertically to central bay.
RENFREW STREET ELEVATION: bays arranged 1-3-1. Outer bays slightly advanced with 4-stage towers with sculpted top panels to top stages with small segmental skyline pediments. Central bays with ground floor frieze with lettering 'THE PAVILION'. 1st floor with 3 windows. Central 3-light, flanking windows 4-light with blind arcade aprons. Central window flanked by sculpted pilasters, repeated above. Parapet raised to centre and pedimented.
Variety of glazing patterns. Some stained glass windows. Predominantly multi-pane over plate glass. Plate glass to oculi.
INTERIOR: fine, rich Louis XV interior scheme. Small semi-circular apsed entrance hall with decorative plasterwork ceiling and terrazzo floor with mosaic inserts including central harp motif. 2-leaf timber doors with oval glazed panels and decorative mouldings. Auditorium (damaged by flood in 1992 ' see Notes) with 2 cantilevered tiers forming circle and gallery. 4 boxes and (altered) semicircular proscenium arch. Ornately decorated plasterwork with swags, volutes, putti etc. Domed ceiling contains rare operational sliding roof panel.
Statement of Special Interest
Opened on the 29 February 1904 as the Palace of Varieties, The Pavilion is an important and outstanding example of theatre architecture by one of the most celebrated theatre achitects of the period. The terracotta street elevations with ornate sculpted panels and touches of blue and gold mosaic along with the corner towers makes this building an unusual and striking addition to Glasgow's streetscape. It is one of the country's best surviving Edwardian theatres.
A flood in March 1992 damaged the plasterwork in the auditorium although this was subsequently repaired on a like-for-like basis.
The auditorium contains a rare operational sliding roof panel to keep the air in the theatre fresh. An early centralised vacuuming system remains in place with the main apparatus surviving in the basement.
Bertie Crewe trained in Paris, as well as London, which may explain his adoption of the French Baroque style here. The theatre was constructed for the Newcastle-based Thomas Barrasford who often chose Crewe as his architect.
The Pavilion is renowned as a specialist variety theatre.
Category changed from B to A and list description revised as part of the Theatres Thematic Study 2010.
Ordnance Survey Map (1908-11). Williamson et al, The Buildings of Scotland ' Glasgow (1990) p208; Bruce Peter Scotland's Splendid Theatres (1999) pp109-113. www.scottishcinemas.org.uk [accessed 16 March 2009]. www.theatrestrust.org.uk [accessed 17 March 2009]. Further information courtesy of owner. From previous list description: 'Evening Times 30 July 1902. B 5 March 1904 p260.'
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record.