Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NS 58824 65400
258824, 665400


James Miller (with Richard M Gunn) 1914-16, reconstructed from earlier building by Thomson and Menzies of 1898. Built as tearoom with accommodation for 847 and small cinema.

Impressive Beaux Arts faience Carrara-ware facade, 5 bays with 1 bay returns, end bays advanced and set in broad plain pilasters. Ground floor largely modernised. 1st floor thermal window with metal balustrade over former cinema entrance, square headed keyblocked windows at corner bays; 2nd and 3rd floors set in giant pilasters, 2nd floor windows square-headed with inset entablatures, 3rd floor windows segment headed and keyblocked under continuous frieze band; 4th floor windows pilastraded (inset at corner bays) with bold mutuled cornice, massively bracketted on front faces of end bays. 5th floor set back as semi-eaves gallery treatment with high relief ornament between windows and bold cornice between the corner bays which rise higher into pavilion features with recessed Doric columns.

Interior: designed by John Ednie in Louis XVI manner fire damaged 1981 and largely destroyed.

Statement of Special Interest

Opened May 1916 as Cranston's DeLuxe, the cinema was part of a larger development by Glasgow based businesswoman Miss Cranston, which also included restaurants and tea-rooms. A second cinema, the News Theatre opened 1954; a third (Tatler Cinema Club) also opened in 1969. The complex was sold and renamed the Classic Film Centre in 1972, and closed in 1981 after a fire which led to demolition of all but the façade.

References and Notes updated as part of Cinemas Thematic Study 2007-08.



GAPC September 20, 1898. BI August 14, 1914.

RSA 1916. Information on internal decoration courtesy Buildings of Scotland Research Unit. T Louden The Cinemas of Cinema City (Illustration showing now destroyed auditorium) p4, 9.

D of G Ref: 1935/487 - alterations to the rake of the floor in the cinema by J McKissack and Son, October/December 1935. Additional information by courtesy of Iain Paterson, City of Glasgow Council. Further information courtesy of Cinema Theatre Association: (accessed 12.02.08).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 13, 15 AND 17 RENFIELD STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 02/12/2023 19:18