Wm B Whitie, 1906-11. Edwardian Baroque public library.
3 storeys and basement. Symmetrical. Square plan, later
infilling in 2 parts up to facade of former St Andrew's
Halls, now Mitchell Library. 18 bays with 2 7-bay returns.
Polished light ashlar, channelled at ground floor, granite
plinth. Sash and case and casement windows, multi-light
MAIN ELEVATION: bays arranged 3-3-6-3-3, bowed centre,
advanced and raised ends with giant order of semi-engaged
Roman Doric columned main entrance, scroll keyblocked
doorpiece with rusticated bands, triglyph frieze, mutule
cornice, parapet with seated figure sculpture by John
Miller (London) breaking through keyblocked staircase
windows above cupola dome with elliptically-headed,
keyblocked, windows, standing figure sculpture by T J
LINKING BAYS: ground floor windows keyblocked with flat
voussoirs, corniced 1st floor windows, architraved 2nd
floor windows, bracketted cornice balustrade.
OUTER ADVANCED BAYS: giant Ionic columns in antis
through 1st and 2nd floors. Corniced 1st floor windows,
scroll keyblocked 2nd floor windows, dentil band,
modillion cornice and balustrade. 7-bay return elevations
continuing main detailing with giant order of columns
as main elevation. Keyblocked entrances in W bays.
INTERIOR: open well circular staircase with stone
balustraded parapet. Extensive wood-carving in public
areas, main reading room and Jeffrey Library. Coved
ceilings with plasterwork escutcheons.