There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 06/07/1966
- Local Authority: Glasgow
- Planning Authority: Glasgow
- Burgh: Glasgow
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NS 57823 65844
- Coordinates: 257823, 665844
James Sellars, 1873-77, interior reconstructed. Sculpture by John Mossman at 1st floor. WIlliam Mossman at ground floor. Schinkelesque Greek classical halls. 4 storeys, 24 bays to Granville Street and 3 return bays to Berkeley Street and Kent Road. Symmetrical polished ashlar, banded at ground floor. Central 3-bay entrance with continuous
lugged projecting architraved doorpiece with paterae surround and stylised anthemion acroters; 2 atlantes in antis and sculpted relieving pilasters; 3 doorways with outer panelled doors and carved timber fanlights; pilastered, corniced vestibule with anthemion frieze.
4 bold, full-height dividing piers. Plinth, recessed in central bays to form podium for cast-iron lamp standards. Ground floor breaking forward to form giant pedestals for 4 sculpted figure groups; plain ground floor windows in deep embrasures, plain ground floor entablature with projecting cornice.
1ST AND FLOOR: giant order of Greek Ionic fluted columns across full-width arranged 5-9-5 bays with anthemion detail to necking and plain entablature, divided by outer and central spacings bays; central bays deeply recessed; 19 pilastered windows at 1st floor with paterae, 2nd graduated panels framing sculpted anthemia; plain entablature with cornice.
ATTIC: blank central bays with plain full-height parapet, 5-bay raised outer sections with 4 caryatids in antis and coupled pilasters to each bay framing freize with sculpted relief lettering: northern bays: RAPHAEL- WATT- M-ANGELO- NEWTON- FLAXMAN, southern: PURCELL- BACH- HANDEL- MOZART- BEETHOVEN plain entablature; cornice.
RETURNS BAYS TO BERKELEY STREET AND KENT ROAD: low margined entry; dwarf pilastered side entrance with relieving internal pilasters. 3 pilastered 1st floor windows 2 panels above repeating main elevation; 3 attic windows with glazing bars.
Statement of Special Interest
Built in 1873-7 as the St Andrew's Halls at a cost of £80,000, this monumental neo-Greek building is an outstanding example of its type. It is also notable for its sculpture by the renowned sculptors, John and William Mossman. It forms a major part of the streetscape.
Cunningham of Liverpool took the design to sketch-plan stage, however, the degree to which his scheme influenced the final design by James Sellars is not known.
The building was bought by the Corporation of the City of Glasgow in 1889. It was gutted by fire in November 1962 and the interior of the front part was remodelled in 1972-80 by Sir Frank Mears and Partners to house the Mitchell Theatre. The rear was rebuilt and absorbed into the neighbouring Mitchell Library (see separate listing).
References from previous list description: B A Jan 2nd 1880. Doak (ed) 1977 No 89. Gomme and Walker, 1968 pp 155-6, 285.
List description updated as part of the Theatres Thematic Study 2010.
2nd edition Ordnance Survey map (1892-7); Williamson et al, The Buildings of Scotland - Glasgow (1990) p279. Dictionary of Scottish Architects, www.scottisharchitects.org.uk .
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record.