Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

6 GORDON STREET, PART OF FORMER COMMERCIAL BANKLB33030

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
06/07/1966
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 58959 65350
Coordinates
258959, 665350

Description

David Rhind (Edinburgh) 1854-7 for Commercial Bank. Renaissance. Sculpture by Handyside Ritchie 3 and 4 storeys with double-height banking hall at ground floor offices above. 11 bays, arranged 3-5-3 divided by quoins. Central bays raised. Polished ashlar with vermiculated rusticated ground floor and quoins. Roll moulded plinth. Arched ground floor with keystone masks, incised frieze, sculpted cherubic panels of industry; stepped aprons. Dentil band, guilloche frieze. 1st floor: aedicule windows with balconies, Corinthian antae and columns to each section with richly sculpted tympana of cherubim with heraldry over centre bay of each.

2nd floor windows plain with lugged, dropped architraves. 2nd floor entablature with guilloche frieze sculpted panels over quoin strips, dentil band, modillion cornice. Balustrade die parapet to outer bays. Central bays 3rd floor eaves gallery with keyblocked arched windows set in Corinthian semi-engaged colonnade, independent, deeply bracketted cornice.

INTERIOR: by James McCallum 1937 with sculpture by J H Clark. Marble-lined banking hall with shallow coved ceiling. Sculpted tablets of industry in frieze.

Statement of Special Interest

This No 78 palazzo style design was influential in commercial buildings of the 1860s and 1870s. Now Royal Bank of Scotland.

References

Bibliography

Information by courtesy fo Buildings of Scotland Research Unit.

Hitchcock, EARLY VICTORIAN ARCHITECTURE, 1954 p 366.

Anderson, COMMERCIAL BANK.

Gomme and Walker, 1968 pp 120-1; 289.

Doak (ed) 1977.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 6 GORDON STREET, PART OF FORMER COMMERCIAL BANK

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/05/2019 08:43