Original house built circa 1762, late 19th century additions
of flanking pavilions in 18th century style by Leadbetter and
Fairley, architects of Edinburgh. 2-storeys attics and
basement, harled walling, red sandstone architraves and
ENTRANCE FRONT: symmetrical 5-bay 18th century house with
boldly advanced 19th century pavilions. Wide flight of steps
with wrought-iron balusters to Roman Doric pedimented porch,
with delicate frieze of rosettes and bucrania. Astragalled
fanlight, double-leaf doors. All windows architraved with
bracketted cills, single light to original house, pavilions
with large Venetian windows to ground. All sash and case
windows with 12-pane glazing.
GARDEN FRONT: symmetrical elevation slightly plainer in
dressings (openings simply margined) but similar to above.
Steps with stone balustrade to central door with
semi-circular fanlight. Ground floor windows to 18th-century
part lengthened in 19th century. Flanks detailed as entrance
front with pairs of tall rusticated stacks at wallhead.
Piended slate roofs, tall rusticated stacks at wallhead and
INTERIOR: good 18th century plasterwork and woodwork to
shutters and doors, stair with good plaster cornices and
roses, pavilion to right gutted by fire circa 1945 and