John Taylor, 1840. 2-storey, Greek revival former customs
office. 9 bays, 5-bay central section breaking forward.
Polished ashlar, channelled at ground floor (acting as
plinth). Central pedimented, pilastered entrance. All
windows sash and case with 6 or 9-pane glazing per sash,
symmetrically arranged with cills at ground floor and
both floors in outer bays. 1st floor Greek Doric semi-
engaged columns tetrastyle in antis; continuous eaves
entablature with triglyph frieze, plain cornice; blocking
course, raised to corniced parapet in outer bays of
central section and in centre to form podium for sculpted
coat of arms. Single bay later additions to E and W:
elliptically headed pends with Venetian windows above.