Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

147 BUCHANAN STREET AND ST VINCENT STREET, FORMER WESTERN CLUBLB33002

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
15/12/1970
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 59018 65434
Coordinates
259018, 665434

Description

D and J Hamilton with the assistance of J T Rochead,

1841. 3 storey, basement and attic. Italianate palazzo

style club building, 5 x 5 bays. Ashlar, channelled at

ground floor, unfortunate modern suface. All windows

sash and case in architraves. Consoled and corniced at

3rd floor. 1st and 2nd floor cill bands. Main entablature

with consoled eaves, coupled at section ends, and

punched with windows; mutule cornice, parapet with

raised piers to St Vincent Street; end and ridge stacks.

ELEVATION TO BUCHANAN STREET: full basement, 1-3-1 bays,

outer bays breaking forward; coupled square-pillared

Corinthian porch, arched entrance, flanked by

round-head windows in recesses. 1st floor windows in

centre bays single-light, consoled and corniced. Ground

and 1st floor outer bays tripartite windows. Pierced

balconies on console brackets and block frieze on 1st

floor. Boundary cast-iron railings on low stone wall.

ELEVATION TO ST VINCENT STREET: plinth; ground floor

round-headed windows in recesses on advanced aprons.

1st floor windows corniced.

Statement of Special Interest

An addition to W by John Honeyman 1871, now demolished.

Interior gutted and reconstructed.

Upgraded B to A 21.7.88

References

Bibliography

Gildard Phil Soc. Doak (ed) 1977 No 30. Gomme and Walker,

1968 pp 84-6, 94, 186, 255. APSD.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 147 BUCHANAN STREET AND ST VINCENT STREET, FORMER WESTERN CLUB

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/11/2019 23:21