Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Group Category Details
100000019 - See Notes
Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NS 56779 66821
256779, 666821


J Gaff Gillespie (Salmon, Son & Gillespie), 1900. 4-bay, 3-storey and attic Art Nouveau terraced house with bell-cast turret. Polished ashlar sandstone, channeled at ground floor; ground floor cill band; simple recessed architraves to ground floor windows.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: Entrance at base of full-height canted bay, 2nd from N; architraved, corniced. 1st floor round-headed window N bay, solid corbelled balcony in front with decorative wrought-iron panel. Dentil band, cornice over S bays, canted bay breaking through cornice with cill band, multi-light fully glazed attic windows divided by timber strips, projecting eaves, bell-cast roof. Raised section to left attached to turret.

Sash and case windows, multi-pane glazing. Slate roofs; gabled dormer; corniced mutual stacks.

INTERIOR (seen 1988): numerous original features including: oak beamed entrance hall with Art Nouveau and Glasgow Style fittings and panelling. Fretwork door with stained glass panels. Sculpted head stair newels. Further fittings and fixtures in main rooms. Stained glass by Oscar Paterson (1863-1934).

BOUNDARY WALLS AND ENTRANCE PIERS: boundary walls and piers with cushion caps flanking entrance steps; cast-iron railings now missing.

Statement of Special Interest

12 University Gardens forms an A-Group with 2-10 University Gardens, 1 University Gardens, 14 University Gardens and 11-13 University Gardens (see separate listings)12 University Gardens is of outstanding interest as a near intact example of the work of a prominent Glasgow architect, John Gaff Gillespie (1870-1926) and of the use of the Art Nouveau, 'Glasgow Style' which characterised development in the city during this period. The building is a fine example of the work of one of the members of the so called 'Glasgow Style' which also included Charles Rennie Mackintosh. The architectural design is characteristic of this style with a use of e strong abstract forms and clean organic shapes and lines. The design of 12 University Gardens is characterised throughout by the interpretation of this style, particularly in the prominent entrance tower with curved bell-cast roof and in the fittings of the interior. The building also exhibits the interest of the designers who formed part of the Glasgow Style in historic techniques of construction and design motifs. This is particularly evident in the oak beamed entrance hall, and the use of some classical design features to the exterior, such as the dentilled cornice which links the building to its setting adjacent to the classical villa at 14 University Gardens (see separate listing).

Dean of Guild records show that No. 12 was commissioned by William S Workman (of George Smith & Sons, merchants and shipowners) from Salmon, Son & Gillespie. The house was acquired by the University in the 1950s.

Principal works of the Salmon, Son & Gillespie firm include the Marine Hotel at Troon (1897), the Glasgow Savings Bank at Anderston Cross (1899), and Lion Chambers in Hope Street (1904).

Formerly listed as '12 University Gardens'. Originally known as 'Saughfield Crescent'.

List description updated as part of review of the University of Glasgow Hillhead Campus, 2011. The building number is derived from the University of Glasgow Main Campus Map (2007), as published on the University's website



Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan: Glasgow, 1909; Mitchell Library, Dean of Guild Collection, Ref. 1/7737; The Studio, (1900) pp. 104-110; D Walker 'The Partnership of James Salmon & John Gaff Gillespie' in Edwardian Architecture & its Origins (A Service, ed.), (1975) p. 239; M Donnelly, Glasgow Stained Glass, (1981), p. 25; C McKean, D Walker, F Walker, Central Glasgow: Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland Illustrated Architectural Guide, (1989) p. 187; E Williamson, A Riches, M Higgs, The Buildings of Scotland: Glasgow, (1990) p. 348-349; Gordon R Urquhart, Along Great Western Road - An Illustrated History of Glasgow's West End, (2000), pp. 174, 181; R O'Donnell, James Salmon, 1873-1924, (2003) pp. 40-41, 88-89; 'University Gardens' buildings search at and (accessed 03-03-2010).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to UNIVERSITY OF GLASGOW, GILMOREHILL CAMPUS BUILDING D15, 12 UNIVERSITY GARDENS, SALMON HOUSE, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS AND ENTRANCE PIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/05/2022 16:21