There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Group Category Details: A
- See Notes
- Date Added: 15/12/1970
- Local Authority: Glasgow
- Planning Authority: Glasgow
- Burgh: Glasgow
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NS 56858 66762
- Coordinates: 256858, 666762
John James Burnet (Burnet, Son and Campbell), 1882-96; kitchen outhouse at No. 7 added by Campbell Douglas & Paterson, 1905. 3-storey and attic, 26-bay Renaissance terrace block of townhouses.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: 1st, 15th, 26th bays canted. Each entry at head of short flight of steps with corniced parapet walls. Battered ground floor; cill band. 1st floor bracketted balustraded balcony, canted bay windows with balustrade over in 5th, 7th, 12th, 13th bays. Corbelled turret in 1st E bay rising full-height with plain narrow windows, glazed attic level with 3- and 4-light windows, independently roofed. 1st floor windows keyblocked, pedimented, broken pediments in main canted bays. Plain 2nd floor windows with aprons, tripartite over 1st floor bay windows. Modillion cornice. Balustrades over central bays.
NOS 9 AND 10: similar treatment with simplified decoration, 8 bays. Shallow S turret rising into attic with polygonal roof and simple glazing. Dentilled oriel windows at 1st floor in 2nd and 7th bays from S. Architraved and corniced paired entries at Nos. 8 and 9. Kitchen outhouse with segmentally pedimented half dormer to rear at No 7, Campbell Douglas and Paterson, 1905. Sandstone and brick scullery wings to rear.
Slate roofs; gabled dormers; corniced mutual stacks.
INTERIORS (seen 1988): numerous original features including: NO 2: Fretwork cast-iron balusters, carved pendants, columns. Curved timber entrance hall chimneypiece. Marble staircase up to 1st floor. Leaded side lights, to entrance. 1st floor stained glass to left of landing. NO 3: coupled column entrance hall chimneypiece. NO 4: arched stair landing with coupled columns. NO 5: similar to Nos 1 and 2. NO 6: 1st floor marble lined bathroom with marble fixtures and fittings. NO 7: carved stone entrance chimneypiece. Various elaborate timber chimneypieces. Figurative tiled fireplace in 2nd floor rear room. NO 8: Edwardian Baroque entrance hall, chimneypiece. NO 9: similar to No 8. NO 10: timber columned staircase.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND ENTRANCE PIERS: boundary walls and piers with cushion caps flanking entrance steps; cast-iron railings now missing.
'OUT' PIER AND STEPPED GARDEN WALL FRONTING UNIVERSITY AVENUE: decorative drum pier at E junction of University Avenue and University Gardens, inscribed 'UNIVERSITY GARDENS' and 'OUT'. Stepped wall with replacement railings enclosing garden at University Avenue; returns in at W junction of University Avenue, inscribed 'UNIVERSITY GARDENS' and 'IN'.
Statement of Special Interest
2-10 University Gardens forms an A-Group with 1 University Gardens, 12 University Gardens, 14 University Gardens and 11-13 University Gardens (see separate listings) University Gardens are of outstanding interest as a virtually intact high quality terrace of townhouses by the nationally significant architect John James Burnet. The architectural design is executed in high quality materials and exhibits a range of features in the Renaissance style, including a prominent balconies and canted bays. The interiors are highly detailed and are characterised by high quality plaster and timber work and elaborately detailed chimneypieces. The design is characteristic of Burnet's move to the so called 'free style' of architecture which rejected a scholarly use of historicist styles in favour of a freer use of traditional architectural methods and motifs, as seen in the combination of architectural devices in the design for University Gardens.
Dean of Guild records show that Nos. 3-4 were commissioned by William Young from John Burnet & Son, and Nos. 6-10 by John Napier from John Burnet, Son & Campbell. The occupants of Nos. 2-5 in 1893 were a mixture of merchants and professionals: Henry Fairlie, industrial chemist; Andrew M'Onie, engineer; James Mann of Mann, Byars & Co, retail warehousemen and manufacturers; and Robert Berry, LLD.
John James Burnet was one of Scotland's leading architects in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Son of another architect, John Burnet Senior, he trained at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris. Burnet was a pioneer of the stylistic move from historicist styles to a tradition-based, but free-style architecture. He developed enormously successful and influential practices in Glasgow and London, designing a number of eminent buildings including the Fine Art Institute, Athenaeum Theatre, Charing Cross Mansions, Atlantic Chambers and Clyde Navigation Trust Offices in Glasgow and the Kodak Building, the second and third phases of Selfridges, Adelaide House, and the King Edward VII Wing at the British Museum in London. Burnet was knighted for the latter project in 1914. Commissions for the University of Glasgow included: the Bower Building (1900), Anatomical (Thomson) Building (1900-01), James Watt Engineering North Building (1901 and 1908), University Chapel (1923-29), Zoology Building (1923), and Hunter Memorial (1925). The neighbouring Glasgow Western Infirmary also employed Burnet Sr and John James Burnet for a number of projects.
Formerly listed as '2-10 (Inclusive Nos) University Gardens'. Originally known as 'Saughfield Crescent'.
List description updated as part of review of the University of Glasgow Hillhead Campus, 2011. The building number is derived from the University of Glasgow Main Campus Map (2007), as published on the University's website www.gla.ac.uk.
Nos 2-5 only appear on Ordnance Survey Town Plan 1894; Mitchell Library, Dean of Guild Collection, Refs. 1/3108 (Nos 6-9, 19/04/1894, copies of plans at www.theglasgowstory.com), 1/3412 (No 10, 13/09/1894), 1/9195, H151, H/159 (Nos 3-4, 05/09/1883); Glasgow University Archives, Drawings Collection, drawings of alterations to No. 3, Ref. GB 0248 GUA BUL/6/31/1-2; Glasgow Post Office Directory 1893-94; Academy Architecture, (1902, Vol I) pp. 93-97; D Walker 'John James Burnet' in Edwardian Architecture & its Origins (A Service, ed.), (1975) pp. 200, 214 n33; A Gomme, D Walker, Architecture of Glasgow, (1987); C McKean, D Walker, F Walker, Central Glasgow: Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland Illustrated Architectural Guide, (1989) p. 187; E Williamson, A Riches, M Higgs, The Buildings of Scotland: Glasgow, (1990) p. 348-349; Gordon R Urquhart, Along Great Western Road - An Illustrated History of Glasgow's West End, (2000), pp. 174, 181; 'University Gardens' buildings search at www.scottisharchitects.org.uk and (accessed 03-03-2010).
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record.
There is no map available for this record.