Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

UNIVERSITY OF GLASGOW, GILMOREHILL CAMPUS BUILDINGS D6 AND D7, 11-13 (ODD NUMBERS) UNIVERSITY GARDENS INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGSLB32930

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000019 - See Notes
Date Added
15/12/1970
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 56741 66785
Coordinates
256741, 666785

Description

John James Burnet (Burnet Son and Campbell), 1882. 3-storey and attic pair of classical townhouses (formerly part of a terrace to NW) with simplified Renaissance details and paired columned portico. Polished ashlar, channeled at ground floor, rock-faced rustication to 'basement, squared rubble rear elevation. Ground floor level band course; ground floor cill course; modillion eaves cornice with dentil band; architraved windows.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: NE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 4-bay. Painted paired Tuscan portico with paired columns in centre; cornice parapet. 1st floor 2 outer oriels with cast-iron plant boxes; balustraded parapets. Central windows corniced. SE ELEVATION: canted corner bay to outer right with central bipartite corniced window; bracketted solid balcony at 1st floor; regular windows at ground and 2nd floor; multi-light attic windows, canted in centre bay between linked, corniced wallhead stacks; 2 further bays to outer left with 2-bay rear return continuing main elevation detailing; corner bay to outer left canted above ground floor. SW ELEVATION: irregular disposition of windows; 2-storey canted bay to outer left. NW ELEVATION: blank (rendered).

Timber sash and case windows; mainly 4-pane glazing. Grey slate roofs; 3-storey SW section with independent piended roof; corniced wallhead stacks.

INTERIOR: (No. 11 seen 2010). Numerous original features including plasterwork and timberwork. Tiled vestibule floor; Tuscan columned entrance hall; coloured glass panel below stair; turned timber balustrade to stair; decorative plasterwork and pedimented timber fireplace to principal room at 1st floor; timber panelling, dentilled cornice and decorative plasterwork to attic room, top-lit by cupola.

BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS: Balustraded boundary wall, solid corner section with bracketted panel lettered "UNIVERSITY GARDENS". Die walls flanking entrance with cast-iron parapets.

Statement of Special Interest

11-13 University Gardens forms an A-Group with 2-10 University Gardens, 12 University Gardens, 14 University Gardens and 1 University Gardens (see separate listings)11-13 University Avenue is a little-altered example of domestic architecture by Sir John James Burnet, one of Scotland's leading architects. No. 11 also has historical interest as the birthplace of the term 'isotope'. The paired townhouses are well detailed with a classical design scheme and some simplified Renaissance detailing, making a good contribution to the surrounding streetscape.

John James Burnet was one of Scotland's leading architects in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Son of another architect, John Burnet Senior, he trained at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris. Burnet was a pioneer of the stylistic move from historicist styles to a tradition-based, but free-style architecture. He developed enormously successful and influential practices in Glasgow and London, designing a number of eminent buildings including the Fine Art Institute, Athenaeum Theatre, Charing Cross Mansions, Atlantic Chambers and Clyde Navigation Trust Offices in Glasgow and the Kodak Building, the second and third phases of Selfridges, Adelaide House, and the King Edward VII Wing at the British Museum in London. Burnet was knighted for the latter project in 1914. Commissions for the University of Glasgow included: the Bower Building (1900), James Watt Engineering North Building (1901 and 1908), John McIntyre Building (1908), University Chapel (1923-29), Zoology Building (1923), and Hunter Memorial (1925). The neighbouring Glasgow Western Infirmary also employed Burnet Sr and John James Burnet for a number of projects. Nos. 11 and 13 University Gardens were built as private residences. Further houses were built by Burnet on the other side of the street (then Saughfield Crescent).

The houses were built on the lands of Saughfield House. No. 11 was first occupied by George Thomas Beilby, father-in-law of the radiochemist, Frederick Soddy (1877-1956). At a dinner in the house in 1913, the physician Margaret Todd suggested the term 'isotope' (Greek for 'same place') to Soddy, who went on to win the Nobel Prize for Chemistry in 1921 for his work on radioactive decay and the theory of isotopes. From 1922 to 1997 the house was occupied by the University of Glasgow's Student International Club, and named after the club's first chairman, shipping magnate George Service (1864-1940). Since 1997 No. 11 has housed the Humanities Advanced Technology & Information Institute. No. 13 housed the Hetherington Research Club, the first university research club in the UK, from 1954 to 2010.

Formerly listed as '11-13 (Odd Nos) University Gardens'. Originally part of 11-25 Saughfield Terrace. No.11 also known as 'George Service House'.

List description updated as part of review of the University of Glasgow Hillhead Campus, 2011. The building numbers are derived from the University of Glasgow Main Campus Map (2007), as published on the University's website www.gla.ac.uk.

References

Bibliography

Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan: Glasgow, 1894; Mitchell Library, Dean of Guild Collection, Ref. H/151; A Gomme, D Walker, Architecture of Glasgow, (1968) p. 297; D Walker 'John James Burnet' in Edwardian Architecture & its Origins (A Service, ed.), (1975) pp. 200, 214 n33; C McKean, D Walker, F Walker, Central Glasgow: Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland Illustrated Architectural Guide, (1989) p. 187; E Williamson, A Riches, M Higgs, The Buildings of Scotland: Glasgow, (1990) p. 348; 'Glasgow University Gardens' search at www.scottisharchitects.org.uk (accessed 03-03-2010); Humanities Advanced Technology & Information Institute departmental history at www.gla.ac.uk/departments/hatii/aboutus/georgeservice (accessed 03-03-2010).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to UNIVERSITY OF GLASGOW, GILMOREHILL CAMPUS BUILDINGS D6 AND D7, 11-13 (ODD NUMBERS) UNIVERSITY GARDENS INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/05/2022 16:14