Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

UNIVERSITY OF GLASGOW, GILMOREHILL CAMPUS, HUNTER MEMORIALLB32920

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000019 - See Notes
Date Added
06/02/1989
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 56923 66688
Coordinates
256923, 666688

Description

Sir John James Burnet (Burnet Son and Dick), 1923-25; sculptor, George Henry Paulin. Memorial to William and John Hunter. U-plan. Cenotaph type, with long low wings embracing raised platform. Polished ashlar sandstone.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: Central cenotaph containing sculpture of St Kentigern and inlaid bronze memorial text ('In gratam memoriam fratrum de scientia naturali et medendi arte optime meritorum Gulielmi 1718-1783 et Johannis 1728-1793 Hunter quorum uterque famae venator aeternaehic collegium chirugorum Londini regium ille Glasguae almnus idem et ditator matrem studiorum universitatem musaeo condito ornavit'); flanking wings containing medallion portraits of William and John Hunter; lower flanking walls.

Statement of Special Interest

Hunter Memorial is part of an A-Group with McMillan Reading Room, Gatepiers, Railings, Quincentenary Gates, Lord Kelvin's Sundial, Pearce Lodge, John McIntyre Building, Thomson Building, James Watt Building and Gilbert Scott Buildings.

This memorial was designed by one of the UK's foremost architects, Sir John James Burnet, to prominent alumni of the University of Glasgow, William Hunter (1718-83) and his brother, John Hunter (1728-93).

The Hunterian Museum and Art Gallery was named after William Hunter, who bequeathed his substantial collection of anatomical and pathological samples, coins, books, manuscripts, botanical and geological specimens and other materials to the University. He was a student at the University from 1731 to 1736, and became a leading anatomist and medical teacher in London. John Hunter was a pioneer of careful observation and scientific method in medicine, and regarded as one of the leading scientists and surgeons of his day. He was appointed Surgeon to King George III in 1776 and Surgeon General in 1789. The Hunterian Society and the Hunterian Museum of the Royal College of Surgeons in London are named after him.

John James Burnet was one of Scotland's leading architects in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Son of another architect, John Burnet Senior, he trained at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris. Burnet was a pioneer of the stylistic move from historicist styles to a tradition-based, but free-style architecture. He developed enormously successful and influential practices in Glasgow and London, designing a number of eminent buildings including the Fine Art Institute, Athenaeum Theatre, Charing Cross Mansions, Atlantic Chambers and Clyde Navigation Trust Offices in Glasgow and the Kodak Building, the second and third phases of Selfridges, Adelaide House, and the King Edward VII Wing at the British Museum in London. Burnet was knighted for the latter project in 1914. Commissions for the University of Glasgow included: the Bower Building (1900), James Watt Engineering North Building (1901 and 1908), Thomson Building (1901), John McIntyre Building (1908), University Chapel (1923-29), and Zoology Building (1923). The neighbouring Glasgow Western Infirmary also employed Burnet Snr and John James Burnet for a number of projects.

The Hunter Memorial was unveiled by Mrs. George R Mather, widow of the brothers' biographer, on 24th June 1925.

List description updated as part of review of the University of Glasgow Hillhead Campus, 2011.

References

Bibliography

Ordnance Survey, Large Sacle Town Plan, 3rd Edition, 1933-4; Glasgow University Archives, Drawings Collection Ref. GB 0248 GUA BUL/6/17/1-9; Mitchell Library, Dean of Guild Collections, ref. GCA C1/3/24/p254; E Williamson, A Riches, M Higgs, The Buildings of Scotland: Glasgow, (1990) p. 341; R McKenzie, Public Sculpture of Glasgow, (2002) pp. 399-411; P Black (ed.), 'My Highest Pleasures': William Hunter's Art Collection, (2007); L Keppie, William Hunter and the Hunterian Museum in Glasgow, 1807-2007, (2007); H C Brock (ed.), The Correspondence of Dr William Hunter 1740-1783, (2008); W Moore, The Knife Man: John Hunter, (2009); 'Hunter Memorial' search at www.scottisharchitects.org.uk and www.glasgowsculpture.com (both accessed 03-03-2010).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to UNIVERSITY OF GLASGOW, GILMOREHILL CAMPUS, HUNTER MEMORIAL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/05/2022 03:29