Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

UNIVERSITY OF GLASGOW, GILMOREHILL CAMPUS BUILDING B7, BOWER BUILDINGLB32917

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
15/12/1970
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 56715 66732
Coordinates
256715, 666732

Description

John James Burnet with J Oldrid Scott (consultant), 1900; extended, T Harold Hughes, date unknown. 2- and 3-storey university botany teaching building with Scottish Renaissance and Baronial details. 2 parallel rectangular-plan E-W ranges linked by N-S range and glazed-roofed infill; later extensions to E. Squared snecked rubble sandstone; ashlar quoins, plinth and dressings.

ELEVATION TO N: 3-1-3 bays centre breaking forward. Central keystoned, arched entry with rusticated open and broken pedimented doorpiece, sculpted tympanum with Glasgow Coat of Arms, tall window above and crowning broken pediment with sculpture flanked by obelisks. OUTER BAYS: corner corbelled turrets with pepperpot roofs. W bays: overall architraves vertically linked, corniced 1st and 2nd floor windows; tripartites above divided by angled strips with sculpted stops. E bays: 1st 2 bays from E tripartites at ground and 1st floors in vertically linked architraved panels, panelling between floors, cornice stepped up over higher central window; 3rd bay from E as W bays; upper floors as W bays. Remaining elevations, plainer with irregular fenestration using window and turret details of main elevation. Double pile with crowstepped gables and apex stacks; ventilating cupola.

3- and 4-light stone mullioned and transomed sash and case or casement windows.

INTERIOR: largely destroyed by fire in 2001 and reconstructed 2004-5.

Statement of Special Interest

See separate list descriptions for the nearby structures enclosed by the University Avenue boundary railings, gatepiers and Quincentenary Gates, including the Gilbert Scott Building, The Square, Thomson Building, John McIntyre Building, Pearce Lodge, Lord Kelvin's Sundial and Hunter Memorial.

The Bower Building was designed by the notable architect, John James Burnet. John Oldrid Scott (second son and successor to the architect of the Main Building, George Gilbert Scott) acted as consultant. The Bower Building was badly damaged by fire at the upper levels in October 2001, but repaired and reopened in 2005. The detailing takes its cue not from the main Gilbert Scott Building, but from Pearce Lodge, which incorporates a number of elements from the demolished 17th-century university buildings in the High Street. The contemporary James Watt North Building and Thomson Building were designed in similar style. In preparation for his work at the University and Western Infirmary, Burnet undertook a tour of the USA in 1896 in order to study American laboratory designs.

John James Burnet was one of Scotland's leading architects in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Son of another architect, John Burnet Senior, he trained at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris. Burnet was a pioneer of the stylistic move from historicist styles to a tradition-based, but free-style architecture. He developed enormously successful and influential practices in Glasgow and London, designing a number of eminent buildings including the Fine Art Institute, Athenaeum Theatre, Charing Cross Mansions, Atlantic Chambers and Clyde Navigation Trust Offices in Glasgow and the Kodak Building, the second and third phases of Selfridges, Adelaide House, and the King Edward VII Wing at the British Museum in London. Burnet was knighted for the latter project in 1914. Commissions for the University of Glasgow included: the James Watt Engineering Building (1901), Anatomical Building (1900-1), John McIntyre Building (1908), University Chapel (1923-29), Zoology Building (1923), and Hunter Memorial (1925). The neighbouring Glasgow Western Infirmary also employed Burnet Sr and John James Burnet for a number of projects.

The building was opened on 13th June 1901 by Sir Joseph Hooker. It was later named after Frederick Orpen Bower, Professor of Botany from 1885 to 1925, who was responsible for its construction. Originally it contained two large teaching labs, an herbarium, a small library, a museum, a 300-seat lecture theatre, staff offices and a workshop.

Formerly listed as '1E Gilmorehill, University of Glasgow, Department of Botany'.

List description updated as part of review of the University of Glasgow Hillhead Campus, 2011. The building number is derived from the University of Glasgow Main Campus Map (2007), as published on the University's website www.gla.ac.uk.

References

Bibliography

Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan: Glasgow, 1909-10; Glasgow University Archives, Drawings Collection Ref. GB 0248 GUA BUL/6/14/1-9; Mitchell Library, Dean of Guild Collection, drawing Ref. 1/7011; Builder (28/04/1900); Academy Architecture (1900, Part 1), pp. 118-119; D Walker 'Scotland at the Turn of the Century' in Edwardian Architecture & its Origins (A Service, ed.), (1975) p. 201 and p. 214, n39; C McKean, D Walker, F Walker, Central Glasgow: Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland Illustrated Architectural Guide, (1989) p. 185; E Williamson, A Riches, M Higgs, The Buildings of Scotland: Glasgow, (1990) p. 342; M Hansell, H Harris, M Reilly & G D Ruxton, Architectural treasures of the University of Glasgow, (2009), p43-45; 'University Glasgow Botany' search at www.scottisharchitects.org.uk (accessed 03-03-2010); building history: www.universitystory.gla.ac.uk/ (accessed 03-03-2010).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to UNIVERSITY OF GLASGOW, GILMOREHILL CAMPUS BUILDING B7, BOWER BUILDING

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/05/2022 16:14