E G Wylie, competition 1921, completed 1929. Double
Y-plan school building. Central administrative and
general block with radiating gallery-access classroom
ranges; the end and angle blocks pseudo-tower emphasis.
3 storeys. Red brick with exposed concrete and some
HILLHEAD STREET ELEVATION: with parapet raised at centre
and monogram inset; rear windows of classrooms grouped
in 3s with pilaster mullions; 1st and 2nd floor windows
linked in panel. Gallery elevations (to E) partially
ENTRANCE LODGE (Hillhead Street): 2 and 3-storey set in
slope with wide tripartite entrance. 3 small bipartites in
1st floor; side elevations with arched and keystoned
detail. Bell-cast Westmorland slate roof, coped stacks.
SOUTHPARK AVENUE ELEVATION: as above except wide
vertically emphasised entrance bay with canted angles;
wide door set in moulded architraves, some simple carved
detail: open galleries to E detailed as above.
INTERIOR: galleried hall, war memorial plaque (relocated from Hillhead Primary School, 2013). Original panelled doors survive. Simply detailed iron work to guard rail above stair