Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

UNIVERSITY OF GLASGOW, GILMOREHILL CAMPUS BUILDINGS E16, 72-80 (EVEN NUMBERS) OAKFIELD AVENUE AND 70 UNIVERSITY AVENUE INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLSLB32889

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
22/03/1977
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 57050 66754
Coordinates
257050, 666754

Description

Circa 1855; additions by J J Burnet (for himself) at No. 70 University Avenue, 1891. 2-storey and partial basement, 19-bay classical terrace of 3-bay houses except No. 74, 4-bay with entrance in 2nd bay from right. Polished ashlar, channelled at ground floor. Ground floor band course; 1st floor cill course; cornice pierced parapet. Small single storey service wings to rear.

E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: alternating right and left entries each at head of steps.

S ELEVATION (RETURN TO 70 UNIVERSITY AVENUE): 3-bay with central entrance. Single storey canted wing to W channelled, corniced with piended roof.

Timber sash and case windows, mainly 8-pane glazing. Slated valley roof with stair cupolas; mutual stacks.

INTERIOR (No. 70 University Avenue and 80 Oakfield Avenue partially seen 2010): decorative plasterwork, including cornices to principal rooms; cast-iron balusters to stairs; panelled doors; painted glass fanlight to No. 80 Oakfield Avenue; clear and pale leaded glass vestibule doors after the manner of Oscar Paterson to No. 70 University Avenue.

GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: coped gatepiers to No. 70 University Avenue; droved ashlar retaining walls with coping (railings missing) to Oakfield Avenue; rubble boundary walls to University Avenue.

Statement of Special Interest

Oakfield Avenue is part of a complete classical terrace of continuous design stretching the length of the street and dating from the mid 19th century. The terrace is well designed and the continuous unified façade makes a good contribution to the streetscape of the surrounding area which is characterised by villa developments. No. 70 University Avenue (formerly No. 18) is of historical interest as the former home of the architect Sir John James Burnet (1857-1938). The extension to the west was added by Burnet in 1891. The Glasgow Post Office Directory of 1866 lists another architect, John James Stevenson (1831-1908), as living at No. 12 Oakfield Terrace (now No. 72 Oakfield Avenue).

John James Burnet was one of Scotland's leading architects in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Son of another architect, John Burnet Senior, he trained at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris. Burnet was a pioneer of the stylistic move from historicist styles to a tradition-based, but free-style architecture. He developed enormously successful and influential practices in Glasgow and London, designing a number of eminent buildings including the Fine Art Institute, Athenaeum Theatre, Charing Cross Mansions, Atlantic Chambers and Clyde Navigation Trust Offices in Glasgow and the Kodak Building, the second and third phases of Selfridges, Adelaide House, and the King Edward VII Wing at the British Museum in London. Burnet was knighted for the latter project in 1914. Commissions for the University of Glasgow included: the Bower Building (1900), Anatomical (Thomson) Building (1900-01), James Watt Engineering North Building (1901 and 1908), University Chapel (1923-29), Zoology Building (1923), and Hunter Memorial (1925). The neighbouring Glasgow Western Infirmary also employed Burnet Sr and John James Burnet for a number of projects.

Nos. 72-80 Oakfield Avenue are linked in design with Nos. 62-70. The terrace opposite was one of the first to be demolished as part of the University of Glasgow's redevelopment plans in the 1950s - it comprised a row of 3-bay houses with central doorways.

Formerly listed as '70-80 (Even Nos) Oakfield Avenue and 70 University Avenue, Hillhead'.

List description updated as part of review of the University of Glasgow Hillhead Campus, 2011. The building numbers are derived from the University of Glasgow Main Campus Map (2007), as published on the University's website www.gla.ac.uk.

References

Bibliography

Appears on Ordnance Survey Town Plan 1858; Glasgow Post Office Directory 1866-67; Mitchell Library, Dean of Guild Collection, plans registered 01/06/1891 by J J Burnet, Ref. H/237; Glasgow Post Office Directory 1893-94; D Walker 'John James Burnet' in Edwardian Architecture & its Origins (A Service, ed.), (1975) pp. 192-215; C McKean, D Walker, F Walker, Central Glasgow: Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland Illustrated Architectural Guide, (1989) p. 189; E Williamson, A Riches, M Higgs, The Buildings of Scotland: Glasgow, (1990) p. 350; Gordon R Urquhart, Along Great Western Road - An Illustrated History of Glasgow's West End, (2000), pp. 175, 195; Gordon R Urquhart, Friends of Glasgow West - Hillhead Heritage Trail, (2008) Building No. 17; 'John James Stevenson' and 'John James Burnet' architect searches at www.scottisharchitects.org.uk (accessed 03 03 2010).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to UNIVERSITY OF GLASGOW, GILMOREHILL CAMPUS BUILDINGS E16, 72-80 (EVEN NUMBERS) OAKFIELD AVENUE AND 70 UNIVERSITY AVENUE INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/05/2022 03:07