Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NS 59080 65433
259080, 665433


John Burnet Sen, 1870-73. Asymmetrical 7-bay Venetian

Renaissance, 3-storey and basement bank. White sandstone

ashlar, channelled at ground with vermiculated quoins;

mutule cornice above ground, moulded 2nd floor cill

course and modillion main cornice; balustrade and dies

with finials. Main entrance bay wider and slightly

advanced, off-centre to right. Tripartite doorway with

semi-circular door flanked by polished granite columns

with Ionic capitals, heraldic carving, various moulded

bands and Father Clyde keystone. Round-arched window above

set in tripartite panel, flanked by paired Ionic columns

and with broken-open segmental pediment above enclosing

cartouche; figures flanking with further paired outer

columns bearing statue figure groups. 3 2nd floor

windows to entrance bay divided by paired pilasters and

columns. Moulded parapet with shell ornament over main

cornice and broken segmental pediment clasping plinth for

urn; flanking pedestals with urn finials.

Cupped roundels holding masques in spandrels between

round-arched ground floor windows. Outer bay to left with

paired arches, outermost as door.

Round-arched 1st floor windows with dividing Ionic

columns and pilasters, architraved at 2nd with dividing

Corinthian order in similiar pattern. Outer left bay with

paired Ionic columns above ground floor, Corinthian to

2nd floor.

Round-arched windows in timber bipartite form with

attached, slender cast-iron column mullions and stone

lintels. Plate glass casement and sash and case windows.

INTERIOR: square 5 x 5 bay cortile Banking Hall, echoing

Brunelleschi's Ospedal degli Innocenti, Florence, at

ground and attached Ionic columns. Similarly detailed

upper gallery with narrower arches and bipartite openings;

modillion cornice; head roundels to spandrels. Segmentally

arched and coffered ceiling with oval glass dome and

decorative leaded glazing, ribbed and glazed oval cupola.

Fine consoled mahogany island counter.

Statement of Special Interest

Sculpture by John Mossman, other figures by Grassby.

Original cost, $35,000. Alterations by John Burnet and

Son, 1902, to interior of western bays, and alteration

to westmost doorway.



BN 19th September 1873. BAILLIE 12 April 1871, F Worsdall

VICTORIAN CITY p.60. Additional information courtesy of

Buildings of Scotland Research Unit.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 30-40 (EVEN NOS) ST VINCENT PLACE, KNOWN AS 30 ST VINCENT PLACE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 28/01/2020 03:54