James Miller, 1906-7. Edwardian Renaissance detail, 7-storey
and basement, 7-bay commercial building. Elaborate Carrara
wear, faience facade; brick side and rear. Round-arched
doorway at centre with masque keystone, putti in spandrels
and Ionic columned, segmental porch; large rusticated windows
flanking with Mercury-masque keystones; corniced Ionic porch
in each outer bay with cartouche above. Consoled balcony to
2nd floor with gilded shields; 3 centre bays at 2nd floor
(framed) with channelled pilasters and forming plinth for
tripartite recess of 3rd, 4th and 5th floors, divided by
giant order Ionic columns; dentil cornice; balustraded eaves
gallery with 3 column-framed openings to centre 6th floor
windows. Simplified outer bays.
ANCHOR LANE ELEVATION: 6 irregularly spaced bays, with faience
facing to outer left bay including moulded panel of windows.
Large multi-pane metal-framed windows in remaining bays with
dividing brick bands.
CITIZEN LANE (REAR) ELEVATION: irregular openings with large
windows detailed as Anchor Lane elevation.
Small-pane sash and case windows. Decorative wrought-iron
2-leaf gates and overthrow to main entrance, and railings to
INTERIOR: No 12: entrance hall with fine oak woodwork including
wainscot panelling, and segmental panel with fluted Ionic
columns and cartouches surrounding marble chimneypiece;
exuberant 18th century style plasterwork with wreaths,
modillions and swagged fruit. Interiors of W offices modernised.