Campbell Douglas and Sellars, 1872-73. 3-storey and
basement, 7-bay Italian Renaissnce commercial building,
raised by 2 storeys and mansard attic. White sandstone
ashlar. Polished granite columns. Central Corinthian
columned porch oversailing basement area fronting round
arched keystoned and columned doorway. Arched windows
in ground, 1st and 2nd floors, attached Corinthian
columns or pilasters to ground with sculpted spandrels,
Corinthian pilastered above with blind balustrade at 1st
and cornice detail linked to give continuous 1st floor
cornice. Sculpture rosettes in spandrels and carved
panels between. 2nd floor windows flanked by blind niches.
Above 2nd floor 3, 2-storey pilasters. Shallow canted
windows with flanking single lights. Centre light of
3rd floor segmentally pedimented aedicule with sculpture
in tympanum. Tripartite pedimented dormers behind.
Modern casement glazing. Slate mansard. Sculpture by
Decorative wrought-iron railings to basement with gilded
details, and polished granite die.
INTERIOR: Corninthian columned business hall, re-