J M Dick Peddie, 1904-8. French Renaissance commercial building. 6-storey, 2 attics and basement. 13-bay, with outer 3 bays each side advanced. Cream sandstone ashlar; channelling with rounded arrises at ground and 1st floor. Large segmentally pedimented porch oversailing basement at centre, with coupled Doric columns on polished granite bases, adjoined to basement area balustrade. Balustraded steps oversailing basement to subsidiary architraved and corniced doorways. Similar to outer right bay. Keystoned round-arched 1st floor windows, divided by brackets of 2nd floor balustrade, "Scottish Provident Institute", in gilded letters, emblazoned at centre. Consoled cills
with panelled aprons to round arched keystoned 3rd floor windows with open pediments. Smaller architraved 4th floor windows. Tetrastyle Ionic columns through 2nd, 3rd and 4th floors in advanced outer bays. Main entablature and with full attic floor above, in-set windows detailed as 4th floor, divided by panelled bays; eaves cornice and die balustrade. Leaded French pavilion roofs (with 2 attics) above outer bays, with oculi. Coped ashlar end stacks. Slate mansard.
Casement windows, with mannered glazing E elevation to North Court: main facade continues to 1st return bay then very simplified.
REAR ELEVATION: glazed brick, modern windows.
INTERIOR: some good woodwork inside.