Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

QUEEN STREET STATION, TRAIN SHED AND BRIDGE OVER RAILWAY ON CATHEDRAL STREETLB32822

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
15/12/1970
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 59207 65546
Coordinates
259207, 665546

Description

James Carswell, 1878-80, executed by P and W MacLellan. 10-bay segmentally arched engine shed over 6 tracks and 4 platforms. Cast-iron columns, with Corinthian capitals to N end Bell-capital columns, supporting lattice beams below Cathedral Street (see Bridge). Delicate lattice arched overall spans 250' x 78' high, glazed with corrugated iron panels at sections.

Decorative fan-glazed ends. Now adjoining modern station

offices to S, SE and SW.

Bridge with wrought-iron lattice girders and parapets of cast-iron basket-arched panels divided by panelled columns and rising to latticed coping; carrying vehicular traffic. Contractors: Smith and Naysmith, Bellahouston Ironworks, Glasgow.

Statement of Special Interest

The original station was opened at Queen Street in 1842 by the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway. The early ancillary buildings have been demolished (see Hume), and the 1880 shed is the surviving representative of the impact of the Victorian railway boom at Queen Street Station; it was built for the North British Railway Company, partly out of competition with Central Station which had expanded by 1879. Arched sheds of note were also to be found at St Pancras, Manchester, and Charing Cross, London; Queens Street is the only remaining large single span overall station in Scotland. The North British Hotel, George Square (now the Copthorne) was opened in 1905, and is

listed separately. The tunnel mouth was relocated northward and Cathedral Street bridge built to permit longer platforms in 1878.

References

Bibliography

Hume 1974. G33. Worsdall VICTORIAN CITY (1982) p.119.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to QUEEN STREET STATION, TRAIN SHED AND BRIDGE OVER RAILWAY ON CATHEDRAL STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 13/11/2019 15:07