Clarke and Bell, Edinburgh, 1842-4, with N section in
1871, and refronted in 1892. Neo-Greek, 3-storey public
buildings. Ashlar, channelled to ground 1st floor
windows mainly with consoled cornices, some pilastered
window reveals at ground and in doors now altered to
Comprised of; (a) S section: 1842-4. Original County
Building. Ionic hexastyle temple front to Wilson Street,
raised on stylobate (ground floor) and flanked by single
narrow bays and outer pilastered bays. Ashlar,
channelled to ground, frieze sculptured by Walter Buchan
on base. Architraved windows. Entrances with consoled
cornices in outer bays, crowning entablature and blocking
course; one similar return bay; further bays each side
elevation, symmetrically arranged to Brunswick Street.
Columnar entrance hall to Wilson Street.
(B) CENTRE SECTION: 1842-4. Originally Merchants' House.
Main front to Hutcheson Street, incorporating Corinthian
colonnade, rising through 1st and 2nd floors and flanked
by pilastered bays. Sculpture again by Buchan.
(C) N SECTION: 1871, extended 1892; facade reflecting
Wilson Street design; with Corinthian hexastyle portico
to Ingram Street with central door and 4 windows in
plinth, partly re-using old materials. Closely spaced
windows on N part of Hutcheson Street; 8 bays to N of
Brunswick Street are symmetrical. Plate-glass glazing
pattern to sash and case windows; some etched glazing to
Brunswick Street. Decorative wrought-iron railings to
Brunswick Street, and decorative cast-iron to Wilson