Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

34-38 (EVEN NOS) WEST GEORGE STREET AND 1 AND 1A DUNDAS STREETLB32801

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
04/09/1989
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 59114 65504
Coordinates
259114, 665504

Description

James Thomson, 1898-1900. Asymmetrical Renaissance extravaganza; 6-storey, basement and attic; 5 bays to West George Street (left pair slightly later in date) 3 to Dundas Street. Shops and office building, red sandstone ashlar. Modern shops at ground. Giant composite pilasters from 1st to 3rd floor, channelled at 1st, banded at 2nd and 3rd, dividing bays. Moulded cill courses.

WEST GEORGE STREET ELEVATION: polished granite balustrade to basement recess; paired columns with Corinthian capitals to porch at centre; triglyphs and paterae metopes to frieze; cartouche in raised end panels of parapet above; arched doorway with decorative wrought-iron overthrow and 2-leaf gates. Tripartite windows with convex outer lights above centre and right bays at 1st and 2nd floor; projecting rectangular bays

in pairs and with terms and Ionic fluted pilasters to left bays; carved garlands and wreathed portraits between cills and lintels of both floors, and dentil cornice above projecting windows. Bipartite aedicules at 3rd floor with Etruscan column mullions. Round-arched

tripartites at 4th floor. Architraved bipartites to centre and right bays at 5th floor, and 5 single windows divided by fluted pilasters above left bays. Consoled cornice. 2 column flanked pedimented dormer windows at centre, linked to polygonal corner pavilion with leaded ogee roof and gilded ball and cockerel weathervane. Scrolled 3-light scroll-coped gable above outer left bays with fluted composite columns.

DUNDAS STREET ELEVATION: detailed similarly to centre and right bays of West George Street front.

Plate-glass sash and case windows.

Statement of Special Interest

Further information courtesy of the Local Merchants' Association of Scotland Ltd. Built for William Connall Jnr, Iron Merchant. The left 1st and 2nd floor windows were derived from 16th century Heinrichsbau, Heidelberg Castle, via the secondary source of the Ritter Inn, Heidelberg, specified by Connall. The carved portraits depict leading iron merchants, including James Watt, J B Neilson, Dixon and Baird, and also the architect.

References

Bibliography

Gomme and Walker 1987, p.258. Drawings for original project in Worsdall Collection (Ref A266) in Glasgow City Archives (February 1997). Built version extended by a further 2 bays westward along West George Street. Additional information from Iain Paterson, Glasgow City Council.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 34-38 (EVEN NOS) WEST GEORGE STREET AND 1 AND 1A DUNDAS STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/09/2019 04:29