Robert Black and James Salmon Sen, 1849-50. Extensive
15-bay (6-3-6), Renaissance style, 3-storey offices,
(now domestic) with emphasis to central bays. Painted
ashlar. Base course, channelled ground floor and deep
GROUND FLOOR: central bays to each section pilastered,
wide entrance to close in left bay of central, slightly
advanced section, now columned window in right;
Venetian windows in both floors above with segmental
shell pediments to central lights and flanking windows.
Paired semi-circular headed lights to central windows of
outer sections at ground floor, 2 windows above with
apron balustrades and segmental shell pediments,
simplified in 2nd. All remaining windows with panelled
pilasters and corniced. Crowning balustraded and solid
die parapet. Decorative cast-iron gates to close.
12-pane glazing pattern to sash and case windows.
Statement of Special Interest
Major watershed in terms of commercial building for
Glasgow, comparable with Royal Bank of Scotland, Gordon
Street. 1849 work was commissioned by Archibald
MacLellan, who had run a coach building company on the
site, destroyed by fire in 1847. Leased Messrs D & J
Macdonald, the largest firm of sewed muslin
manufacturers in Glasgow, until 1855.