Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NS 58887 66080
258887, 666080


Campbell Douglas and Sellars, 1872. Refurbished and converted to a centre for the study and teaching of the art of piping, 1993-96, by McGurn, Logan, Duncan and Opfer. Italianate church, with temple frontage. Cream ashlar sandstone to front and W side, and E side above clerestorey. Base course; cill courses and cornices, with parapets at aisles.

S ELEVATION: 2 storey, advanced and pedimented, ground floor forms plinth with channelled pilaster quoins and tall centre pedimented doorpiece with deep-set 2-leaf panelled doors. 3 bays above shallow portico, of 2 inner columns flanked by paired pilasters; tall corniced and pilastered windows behind. Outer bays, slightly recessed, (left bay base of campanile each with pedimented and pilastered doorway and panelled doors; Greek Key frieze to lintels; E door bay adjoined to Hall.

TOWER: 3-stage squat campanile at SW corner, architraved window at ground to W side, doorway to S (see above); paired openings below round-arched louvred openings with impost course; deep consoled eaves to Roman tiled piend roof.

W ELEVATION: tower to outer right; 5 bays to aisle and set-back clerestorey; 3 segmentally pedimented and pilastered ground floor windows, 2 regularly pedimented; pier mullioned tripartite clerestorey windows; low opening to crypt at N end, on falling ground.

E ELEVATION: adjoined at S end by Hall detailed as W.

HALL: square plan, 3-storey and basement, 3-bay building, now hall but possibly with some residential accommodation originally. Cream sandstone ashlar front. Moulded cill courses at 1st and 2nd floor, and cornice

to S front. Small-paned windows to basement; single windows at centre bay in each floor, and stone mullioned bipartites flanking, all architraved. Stair bay projecting at rear to NW, added later, with brick to N and W sides; doorway at ground to E. Wallhead stacks, one truncated. Slate piend roof with remains of louvred ventilator at apex.

Statement of Special Interest

The design echoes the work by Alexander Thomson at the Caledonia Road Church, Glasgow, 1856, and the St Vincent Street Free Church, 1858, in its combination of temple frontage and campanile, and the severity of

Schinkelesque classicism. Seated for over 1,000, the church cost $5,000, rising to $8,000 including the simple addition of the hall.



Gomme and Walker, 1987, p.316. Information by courtesy of Buildings of Scotland Research Unit. Additional information by courtesy of Iain Paterson, Glasgow City Council.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 30-34 MCPHATER STREET AND 3 AND 5 LARBERT STREET, THE PIPING CENTRE, COWCADDENS FORMER FREE CHURCH AND HALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/09/2019 22:32