Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NS 59422 65250
259422, 665250


David Hamilton, architect, 1802-1805, interior recast by

John Baird II 1876. Classically detailed with Roman

motifs. Built to replace earlier (17th century) Hospital

as a home for aged men. 2-storey and attic with tall

slender tower and spire. Polished painted ashlar,

channelled at ground.

INGRAM STREET ELEVATION: 5-bay symmetrical front.

Central doorway has Roman Doric porch and double-leaf

panelled doors. Plain rectangular windows to ground. 1st

floor is double-height with inner 3 bays recessed in the

form of a colonnade. Corinthian columns in antis flank

large square-headed consoled windows with panel frieze

above. To end bays Corinthian pilasters flank niches

(an alteration of 1824) with statues of George and

Thomas Hutcheson (the founders) carved in 1649 by JAMES

COLQUHOUN, and resited from the original 17th-century

Hospital. The glazing is 6-pane to 1st, 2-pane to ground

with partly leaded coloured glass to lower panes.

Colonnade supports frieze with inscription recording the

founders, cornice and blocking course. Above this scroll

pediment to centre, to end bays oval "Roman" alters as

finial feature linked by balustrade.

JOHN STREET ELEVATION: simpler elevation of 2 wide bays.

Pilastered doorpiece to left, tripartite window to

right. To 1st shallow pedimented tripartites with

consoles. These are flanked by paired pilasters. Cornice

with solid deep parapet above, tripartite attic windows,

that to right blind. Wallhead corniced stack with

octagonal cans.

TOWER: square based, 4-stage tower with slim needle

spire. 1st stage with round-arched window, 2nd with

louvred openings flanked by paired Tuscan columns set

across angle. These support projecting cornice; clock

face to 3rd stage. 4th stage Ionic tempietto from which

rises spire surmounted by gilded orb and cross.

INTERIOR: completely recast by John Baird II in 1876, in

heavy classical style with lavish detail. Main Hall to

1st floor, windows and doors with heavy architraves and

pediments supported on moulded consoles, double-leaf

panelled doors. Windows with painted glass panels to

upper and lower parts. Panelling to wainscott level

throughout. 2 chimneypieces with Ionic columns

supporting elaborate entablature. Ceiling divided into 3

sections with moulded dentil cornice and good ceiling

rose, decorative iron ventilators. Scale and platt stair

with carved timber balusters.

Statement of Special Interest

Important street scape value as formal end to Hutcheson

Street. Owned by National Trust for Scotland.



Gomme and Walker 1987, p. . Doak (ed) 1977. Information

by courtesy of the Buildings of Scotland Research Unit.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 158 INGRAM STREET, AND 2 JOHN STREET, HUTCHESON'S HOSPITAL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/09/2022 08:02