Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

170-180 (EVEN NOS) HOWARD STREET WITH 37 ROPEWORK LANE, FORMER STOCKWELL FREE CHURCHLB32729

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
04/09/1989
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 59180 64762
Coordinates
259180, 664762

Description

Built 1842 as Stockwell Chapel of Ease. 2-stage and basement, classical Free Church, converted to warehouse 1886, by Robert Dalglish. Further small addition, 1887, by Robert Renfrew. Rectangular plan. Painted ashlar base course and W facade, coursed rubble to other elevations with ashlar dressings; moulded eaves cornice.

W ELEVATION (ROPEWORK LANE): 3-bay, centre bay flanked by coupled giant pilasters with entablature and parapet above with coped terminal stacks. Round-arched, architraved former window at centre, with keystone and moulded panel above, currently blocked. (Architraved doorway to right

bay with keystone and architraved, arched panel above containing fanlight and arched upper window. Left-hand bay with basement opening; arched panel above, detailed as right bay, with window at ground).

N ELEVATION (HOWARD STREET): symmetrical 5-bay detailed as W windows (2 inserted doors in outer bays).

E ELEVATION (METROPOLE LANE): 4 bays with 2 arched windows in upper stage.

Panelled aprons to round-arched windows. Grilles to basement openings and small-pane windows.

Statement of Special Interest

Began in 1839 when a group of members of East Campbell Street Auld Licht congregation sought and were granted admission to the Church of Scotland and became Stockwell Chapel of Ease. A church was built in 1842 in Ropework Lane at the corner of Howard Street. In 1843 they came out, taking their property with them, to become Stockwell Free Church. The various works connected with the construction of St Enoch Station (opened in 1876) resulted in the disappearance of houses, so that in 1895 "because of movement of population" it was resolved to move "to a more populous area". They therefore sold their property (to a wholesale grocer for $3100) and transported to Albert Road (now Drive) in Pollockshields, acquiring it would seem, a wide variety of names in course of the transition.

Herron.

Interior not seen. In 1886 the church was converted to a warehouse, for Robert Mitchell, with the extension to S of 1887.

References

Bibliography

Dean of Guild 1/56 (11 March 1886, completed 23 June 1887, by Robert Dalglish) and 1/276 (24 February 1887, completed 23 June 1887, by Robert Renfrew). Historical Directory of the Glasgow Presbytery by Andrew Herron (1984). Additional information courtesy of Iain Paterson, City of Glasgow District Council.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 170-180 (EVEN NOS) HOWARD STREET WITH 37 ROPEWORK LANE, FORMER STOCKWELL FREE CHURCH

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 06/12/2019 18:42