Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NS 59329 65183
259329, 665183


Robert Adam, 1791-9, completed posthumously. David Hamilton extensions at rear 1838, interior recast by James Sellar in 1887-8 partially or totally refaced by John Keppie 1927; 1916 John Keppie redecorated the saloon. 1955 extensive alterations and new trades' hall ceiling by Walter Underwood. Classical building. 2-storey and full attic, symmetrical 7-bay elevation, alternately recessed and advanced. Polished ashlar, rusticated ground floor with bold voussoirs to openings. Various alterations to ground floor openings, including reduction to size of main door and insertion of stained timber windows with panelled aprons. Tall 1st floor with pairs of Ionic columns supporting central pediment; 3 Adam-type Venetian windows in advanced bays (with altered glazing); console pedimented windows in recessed bays. Raised attic over 5 inner bays, central parapet with paterae, supporting Royal Arms. Set back centrally, domed drum with louvred aedicules and leaded cupola. Outer bays raised from single storey by Sellars (1887). 2 bronze panels above pedimented windows, of gryphon-flanked vases.

Small-pane glazing to main, hopper windows, plate-glass sash case to outer bays and attic.

INTERIOR: reconstructed 1887-8 by Sellars. Grand stair rises in 2 flights to 1st floor with fluted newels supporting bronze lamp standards, stained glass by Sellars.

BANQUETING HALL: remodelled by Sellars with Adam-style ceiling, replaced 1956 with African timber ceiling, silk frieze depicting Trades at work, 1902-03.

SALOON: Spanish mahogany panelled with plaster panelled ceiling. Glass by Guthrie and Wells 1897. Adamesque marble chimneypiece.

Main entrance: decorative mosaic floor inscribed "Trades House".

Part of ground floor absorbed into adjoining bank at No 99 Glassford Street.

Statement of Special Interest

Extensions of 1828 and 1838 by Hamilton. Decorations 1850 by Campbell F Bowie, now replaced. Hamilton derived the drum on Stirling's Library (listed separately), from that of the Trades House. In 1882, both Salmon and Son and Campbell Douglas and Sellars submitted designs for a new building at the site, neither was executed.



APSD. Denholm, Reid and Bolton ARCHITECTURE OF ROBERT AND JAMES ADAM. Doak (Ed) 1977, 14. GLASGHU FACIES (1872), Vol. ii, p.992. Rogerson and Leggat Smith TRADES HOUSE HANDBOOK (1961). Buildings of Scotland Research Unit.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 79-89 (ODD NOS) GLASSFORD STREET, THE TRADES HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 28/01/2020 03:04