Thomson and Sandilands, 1900. Former Parish Council offices.
3-storey, attic and basement. Edwardian Baroque red sandstone
building with much carved decoration; symmetrical 5-bay
elevation to George Street. End bays shallow advanced linked
by band of masonry over 1st floor. Polished red ashlar,
Central doorway with polished pink granite Ionic columns
supporting porch. Round-arched doorway with moulded archivolt
and keystone, astragalled glazed fanlight. Porch with elaborate
solid parapet balcony over which partly obscures 1st floor
All ground floor windows round-arched with moulded archivolts
supported on wide pilasters, each with bold keystone. To inner
3 bays, centrally placed single corbels supports solid base
of 2-storey oriels which are interrupted by solid band of
masonry over 1st floor (a false balcony). Oriels rise to
curvilinear parapets. 3rd floor has large round-headed windows
lighting hall with paired fluted Ionic columns separating
bays and supporting deep cornice on impost blocks. To outer
bays 2-storey oriel from 1st, set into 3-storey arched recess, pilastered round-arched window to 3rd; attic round-arched
dormer. All sash and case windows with plate-glass glazing
except inner bays at 3rd which have margin glazing.
Heavy eaves cornice with balustraded parapet and die piers
with urn finials. Central metal dome with ashlar lantern. To
end bays lead French pavilion roofs.
INTERIOR: good panelled timber doors, some good plaster
cornices. Impressive stair with timber balusters and coloured
leaded glass stair light. Glazed tile vestibule. Hall on 3rd
floor with elaborate plasterwork Corinthian pilasters with
gilded putti supporting coved cornice.