James Sellars, 1874. 3-storey, mezzanine and basement
5-bay office building, with attic storey added later.
Cream ashlar sandstone; vermiculated channelling
alternating with ashlar bands at ground, and to quoins,
cornice above ground floor; guilloche cill course at 2nd
floor; decorative eaves brackets, grouped in 3s and 4s,
to original mutuled main cornice. Round-arched entrance
with masqued keystone moulded architrave and guilloche
frieze; decorative wrought-iron 2-leaf gates and overthrow,
and window guards to ground floor bipartite windows;
swagged panels above bipartites, with mezzanine storey above.
Aediculed windows at 1st floor each with balustraded balcony
and segmental shell pediments; architraved 2nd floor and attic
windows. Pilasters on panelled dies dividing attic windows
modillioned cornice. Rear to Anchor Lane.
Plate glass glazing pattern, with some top-hopper windows.
Statement of Special Interest
Forms the central of three blocks closing George Square to
W, in a style begun by J T Rochead in 1869 in his design for
2 St Vincent Place, and completed in J Burnet's Merchant's
House to N, in a continuous Italian Palazzo style (both