J T Rochead, architect, 1859. Former John Street
Church, United Presbyterians. Palazzo style Italianate
former Church, now converted to bar at ground, 1st floor
still (1988) derelict with much of the interior fittings
3-storeys and basement, 11 bays to John Street, 7 bays
to Cochrane Street.
Polished ashlar, stonecleaned, bold rustication to ground.
End bays to each facade shallow advanced with
round-arched doorways in Gibbsian surround and central
console supporting bracket keystones. Elaborate panelled
doors. All ground floor openings have moulded recessed
reveals, windows with plate glass glazing. Double-height
1st floor, formerly galleried Church. End bays flanked
by pilasters, solid masonry with elaborately architraved
blind niches. To inner bays Ionic colonnade with
full-height windows directly glazed between columns,
giving the effect of engaged columns emerging from a
glass wall. Leaded glazing pattern some acid etched
Decorative frieze over doors, cornice over ground,
Columns support entablature and mutule cornice. Deep
panelled parapet with intermediate die piers, some conceal
chimneys and have single octagonal cans. Piended slate
roofs originally with octagonal ventilators.
Harled rubble flank to E, with 5 (of 9) colonnaded
windows intact, others have been blocked by adjoining
building now (1988) demolished.
INTERIOR: inserted ground floor replacing original interior.
Resulting upper floor partially gutted, with steel beams
inserted for proposed additional floor, adjoined to massive
columns with ornate Ionic capitals. 9-bay windows
divided by columns to E and W (the latter partly blocked)
and 5-bay to N; decorative stained and painted glass with
round-arch arrangement. Formerly curved angles to
large open room. Formerly with coomb ceiling (vestiges
remaining 1987) and with partial survival of superb
plasterwork, with oval centrepiece and trabeated border.