Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

266-268 CLYDE STREETLB32671

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
04/09/1989
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 58915 64842
Coordinates
258915, 664842

Description

Circa 1860, Classical 7-bay, 3-storey and attic shop and

office block, with interior alterations, 1901, and given

new shop fronts, 2 additional upper storeys, and further

adjustments to interior, probably J J Burnet, circa 1920.

Cream sandstone ashlar; squared and snecked sandstone

to sides and rear, with brick additions (1920).

Channelled ashlar at ground to S elevation, impost

courses, dentil cornices and moulded keystones.

S ELEVATION: broad depressed archway at centre with

Arbroath stone steps to vestibule; recessed modern

doorway. Tripartite shop fronts in flanking bays, circa

1920, in mirrored form, with channelled pilasters

retained; top-hopper upper windows and fanlights;

cornice above ground floor. Giant pilasters flanking

centre bay at 1st and 2nd floor with windows in raised

panel; round-arched keystoned windows to each floor

(pilastered to bays flanking centre); dentil cornice to

1st, with entablature at 2nd. Paterae detail between each

window. Former attic floor serving as plinth for 2 later

floors above; architraved window at centre, 3 windows

flanking each side with pilasters dividing. 2 top floors

with giant pilasters again flanking centre bay, regular

fenestration with tall windows in penultimate storey.

Cornice and parapet with wallhead stacks flanking centre

bay.

N (FOX STREET) ELEVATION: 2 stair window bays at centre,

surmounted by water tank. Evidence of former additions

at ground. Near-regular fenestration in remaining bays

with bipartites to outer left.

Tenements adjoined to E and W.

PLate glass sash and case windows and metal casements to

later work. Wrought-iron geometric window guards to top

floor. Wallhead and gablehead stacks.

Statement of Special Interest

The style of the original property bears resemblance to

work by J T Rochead or Charles Wilson. The Dean of Guild

plans by J J Burnet of 1903 (1/9688), were probably never

realised, (for example, they include a mansard roof),

but the "top hamper" effect suggests that he almost

certainly provided the subsequent design in the present form,

after World War I.

References

Bibliography

SR Archives: D of G 1/8294 and 1/9688.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 266-268 CLYDE STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/01/2020 14:55