Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

20 BUCHANAN STREETLB32632

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
15/12/1970
Supplementary Information Updated
05/06/2019
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 58992 65135
Coordinates
258992, 665135

Description

Designed by John Hutchison, with details drawn by Andrew Black and assisted by Charles Rennie Mackintosh, this large department store in Glasgow's premier shopping street was re-built in 1889 for Robert Wylie Hill following a fire in 1888. It was damaged again by fire in November 1903, and reconstructed the following year when an additional storey was added.

Italian Renaissance-style six-storey commercial building with attic and three tripartite bays. It is built of orange-red Corsehill sandstone and has rows of large windows with the glazing set directly into the masonry. The ground floor has a modernised shopfront. The first, second and third floor bays are divided by pilasters of various sizes, either rusticated or banded; central lights to each bay with variously elaborated Ionic columns, second floor central light pedimented; panelled pilaster strips to fourth and fifth floors. Modillion cornice; central square-domed pavilion in attic, with elaborate pilastered and colonnaded details; pedimented flanking dormers. Plate-glass casement and top hopper windows with small-pane glazing to windows of south side.

Photographic evidence from 2012 (Mackintosh Architecture) indicates that unusual Ionic capitals, likely dating from 1889, remain on the ground and first floors of the interior.

Statement of Special Interest

Following a disastrous fire in 1888, the Wylie Hill store was rebuilt with a pond in the toy department to demonstrate mechanical ship-models, and sold a variety of goods from enamelled kitchenware to Indian-grown, own-brand tea.

The architect of the 1888-89 rebuilding was John Hutchison, though the design is believed to have been largely the work of his chief assistant, Andrew Black. The rebuilding of Wylie Hill's department store was one of the major works undertaken by John Hutchison during Charles Rennie Mackintosh's final year of apprenticeship in his office (1888-89). According to later recollections of a near contemporary in Hutchison's office, WJ Blain, Mackintosh designed the plaster Ionic capitals for the interior. Blain noted these as being '…brilliantly executed and showed surprising individuality.' (Mackintosh Architecture). The unusual Ionic capitals on the ground and first floors (photographed in 2012, Mackintosh Architecture), may be the ones that Mackintosh designed, and as such would be survivors from the 1889 building.

Charles Rennie Mackintosh (1868-1928) was born in Glasgow and is regarded internationally as one of the leading architects and designers of the 20th century. He became known as a pioneer of Modernism, although his architecture took much inspiration from Scottish Baronial, and Scottish and English vernacular forms and their reinterpretation. The synthesis of modern and traditional forms led to a distinctive form of Scottish arts and crafts design, known as 'The Glasgow Style'. This was developed in collaboration with contemporaries Herbert McNair, and the sisters Francis and Margaret Macdonald (who would become his wife in 1900), who were known as 'The Four'. The Glasgow Style is now synonymous with Mackintosh and the City of Glasgow.

Mackintosh's work is wide-ranging and includes public, educational and religious buildings to private houses, interior decorative schemes and sculptures. He is associated with over 150 design projects, ranging from being the principal designer, to projects he was involved with as part of the firm of John Honeyman & Keppie (Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh from 1901). The most important work during this partnership was the Glasgow School of Art (LB33105), which was built in two phases from 1897 and culminated in the outstanding library of 1907.

Other key works include the Willow Tea Rooms (LB33173), the Glasgow Herald Building (now The Lighthouse) (LB33087) and Hill House (LB34761), which display the modern principles of the German concept of 'Gesamtkunstwerk', meaning the 'synthesis of the arts'. This is something that Mackintosh applied completely to all of his work, from the exterior to the internal decorative scheme and the furniture and fittings.

Mackintosh left Glasgow in 1914, setting up practice in London the following year. Later he and Margaret moved to France, where until his death, his artistic output largely turned to textile design and watercolours.

Listed building record revised in 2019.

References

Bibliography

References:

Archives

Glasgow City Archives, Dean of Guild References - 1/747 (decree 10 Jan 1889, completed 5 Dec 1889) and 2/135 (decree 31 March 1904, completed 15 June 1905).

Printed Sources

B A 22.11.1889.

B J 23.11.1904.

Brown, A (2018) Charles Rennie Mackintosh Making the Glasgow Style. Glasgow: Glasgow Museums.

Cooper, J. (editor) (1984) Mackintosh architecture: the complete buildings and selected projects. London: Academy.

Crawford, A (1995) Charles Rennie Mackintosh. London: Thomas and Hudson.

Gomme, A and Walker, D (1987) Architecture of Glasgow. Glasgow: Lund Humphries, p.263.

Howarth, T. (1977) Charles Rennie Mackintosh and the Modern Movement. London: Routledge & Kegan Paul Ltd.

McKean C, Walker, D and Walker F (1999) Central Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide. The Rutland Press, p.93.

Neat, T. & McDermott, G. (2002) Closing The Circle Thomas Howarth, Mackintosh and the Modern Movement. Aberdour: Inyx publishing.

Robertson, P. (editor) (1990) Mackintosh: The Architectural Papers. Wendlebury: White Cockade Publishing.

Online Sources

Dictionary of Scottish Architects, Charles Rennie Mackintosh, http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/architect_full.php?id=200362 [accessed 30/05/2019].

Mackintosh Architecture, John Hutchison at https://www.mackintosh-architecture.gla.ac.uk/catalogue/name/?nid=HutchJn [accessed 08/01/2019].

Mackintosh Architecture, M005 R. Wylie Hill & Co. at https://www.mackintosh-architecture.gla.ac.uk/catalogue/browse/display/?rs=5 [accessed 08/01/2019].

Other information

Information provided courtesy of Buildings of Scotland Research Unit and Glasgow City Council.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 20 BUCHANAN STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/05/2022 12:50