Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

16 BUCHANAN STREETLB32631

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
04/09/1989
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 58995 65118
Coordinates
258995, 665118

Description

James Thomson, 1888-9, and 4th floor and above added circa 1904-5 by Frank Burnet, Boston and Carruthers. Simplified Venetian Renaissance commercial building; 7-storey with attic, 5 bays to Buchanan Street and 2 bays on return to Morrison Court. Ashlar; modern ground floor shops; pilastered panels to 1st, pilasters to 2nd floor; swagged Ionic capitals to colonnade to 3rd with arched keystoned heads, pilastered and keyblocked 4th floor windows; colonnaded 5th floor with recessed arched windows, architraved 6th, modillion cornice, tripartite pedimented dormer in balustraded parapet. Pitched slate and platform roof. Plate-glass, sash and case windows.

Statement of Special Interest

No 12, listed separately above, was also by Thomson, and the similarities in basic design, suggest that this adjoining section was a contemporary, economy variant. Thomson's work was for Messrs Brown, Smith and Co, who turned to Burnet, Boston and Carruthers for the addition of the upper storeys. Original building cost ?6,000.

References

Bibliography

Gomme and Walker, 1987, p.261. Glasgow City Archives, Dean of Guild Ref 1/740 for Thomson's building of 1889,and 2/98 for Burnet, Boston and Carruthers' additions of 1904.Additional information courtesy of City of Glasgow District Council.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 16 BUCHANAN STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/05/2022 12:46