Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

65-117 (ODD NOS) ARGYLE STREET, KNOWN AS NO 65 ARGYLE STREET, FORMER LEWIS'S DEPARTMENT STORELB32609

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
04/09/1989
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 59088 65013
Coordinates
259088, 665013

Description

G de Courcy Fraser and Clarke, Bell and J H Craigie,

1932-1949 construction of Lewis's Royal Polytechnic Ltd

warehouse for retail shopping (department store), in an

extensive, 1930s classical design, on site of former

premises; later additions at rear, and link with

St Enoch's shopping centre, Michael Haskoll Associates,

1988, accompanied by substantial reconstruction of

interior. 6-storey, attic, basement and sub-basement.

Ashlar Portland stone, brick rear with ashlar band and

attic, with steel sheet piling; polished granite aprons to

shop windows. Ashlar channelled at ground, at 1st floor

and in pilasters to 3rd floor. Plate glass display windows

at ground with bordered, blinded fascia lights; windows

to 1st floor and above glazed and bordered, small-pane

pattern in steel pivot casements.

N (ARGYLE STREET) ELEVATION: main facade symmetrical,

bays grouped 3-18-3, with entrances in splayed corner

bays; 15 shop windows at ground; wide doorway recesses

flanked by fluted Doric columns; single windows at 1st

floor; tripartite windows to corner bays and outer bays of

groups of 3 bays at 2nd floor. Pilasters dividing outer

bays to entablature level. 3rd floor detailed as 2nd, with

keystones and quasi-guttaed frieze above windows. 4th

and 5th floors with 2-storey arcade to centre 18 bays,

with windows to each bay at each floor, smaller at 5th;

geometric wrought-iron balcony rails. 3 bay groups with

single windows at centre to 4th floor and bipartites to

5th, flanked at both floors with tripartite windows;

Thomsonesque pediments above centre lights of 4th floor

windows, and smaller 5th floor windows. 4th and 5th

floors of corner bays with recessed window panel,

tripartites at both floor and balcony to centre light at 4th

floor. Fluted necks to pilasters; moulded cornice above

full entablature. Attic floor with architraved single

windows and tripartite to outer bays of groups of 3,

bearing minimalist pediments and guilloche carved frieze;

corner bays with single windows. Flat roof.

W (MAXWELL STREET) ELEVATION: 6-bay. Detailed as main

facade with lesser doorway in outer right bay; 4-bay

arcade to 4th and 5th floors and outer bays detailed as

above.

E (DUNLOP STREET) ELEVATION: 8-bay. Detailed as main

facade with lesser doorway in outer left bay; 6-bay

arcade to 4th and 5th floors at centre; outer bays

detailed as above.

S (N DRIVE, FORMERLY CROY PLACE) ELEVATION: irregular and

asymmetrical. Ashlar cill course to 4th floor.

Rectangular projections, that to right of centre 3 bays

deep. Modern additions at ground to left and further

extensions, 1988. Ashlar attic raised above height of

other elevations in blank wall-plane.

Statement of Special Interest

Petition of 9 December 1932; work described in BUILDER as

"demolition and rebuilding scheme for Lewis's". Photographs

of 1920, and the plans of 1932, indicate that the former

Warehouse was completely demolished rather than absorbed in

part. Impressive proportions enhanced by simplicity and

repetition of details.

References

Bibliography

B 10 September 1910, p.297. B 27 May 1932, p.951. B 29

July 1932, p.189. Further information courtesy of Buildings

of Scotland Research Unit. SR Archives: T-AF 342/1-3,

photographs. SR Archives: D of G Prog. no.470 (1932).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 65-117 (ODD NOS) ARGYLE STREET, KNOWN AS NO 65 ARGYLE STREET, FORMER LEWIS'S DEPARTMENT STORE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/05/2022 12:37