Thomas S Cordiner, architect; designed 1939, resumed 1949
completed 1953. Brick, concrete and ashlar school with
pantiled roof. Pivot metal framed windows with small lying
pane glazing. Long 2-storey S range with 2 projecting wings
to N, gymnasium to SE.
Symmetrical entrance front to S. 2 5-bay ranges flank
3-storey entrance bay, latter with advanced outer walls faced
to inside with large nailhead ashlar masonry. Doorway in
ashlar surround with carved panels; tripartite door with
glazed sidelights. 5-light window to 1st with carved panels
of Arts and Sciences. 2nd floor with full-width window to
Concrete band courses to all cills and lintels, deeply
overhanging concrete eaves; modernist fleche with cross.
To left, single storey kitchen wing; to right, single storey
gymnasium of 6-bays with windows set in ashlar panels.
2 projecting wings to N; that to E with hall, that to W with
refectory at ground, classrooms above. Ashlar bas-relief
panels to N wings. Sympathetic brick additions (circa 1979)
to NE, freestanding single storey blocks to rear courtyard.
Interior with most original features surviving; tiles to dado
level, floor tiles, some wood panelling.
Stairs with Mackintosh style baluster-screen.
Paved terraces to N and W with boundary and retaining walls
of brick with concrete coping. Shrine in brick with statue
of Virgin and Child to N.
Brick gatepiers with concrete coping, cast-iron gates.