John A Campbell, architect; circa 1902. Asymmetrical pair of
Scots Renaissance villas in bull-faced coursed ashlar with
polished base course and dressings; 1st floor windows set in
slightly recessed masonry with polished quoins.
No 3: 2-storey 3-bay with 2-storey canted window to right
with parapet breaking through eaves. Central pilastered
doorpiece with consoles supporting segmental hood, arched
fanlight. Double-leaf panelled outer doors; vestibule door
tripartite with glazed sidelights. To left, bipartite window.
To 1st floor, single light windows, all with roll-moulded
architraves. Sash windows, small pane glazing. Continuous
cill strings at 1st. Timber modillions support swept eaves;
plain skews, slate roofs, axial stacks. Gabled flank to
Redlands Lane, coursed bull-faced ashlar. To left at 1st
transomed and mullioned window with leaded glass.
To rear, single-storey and attic projecting hipped-roof
service wing with additional single storey garage.
1 Redlands Road: 2 storeys, attics and basement, 4-bay with
gable to left bay. All ground floor windows roll-moulded.
To left, 2-storey canted windows with parapet off-centre
under gable with low tripartite attic window. Steps to
architraved doorpiece with pilastered reveals and corbels
supporting segmental hood. Astragalled fanlight, double-leaf
pilastered doors; vestibule door tripartite with glazed
sidelights. Ground floor windows bipartite with moulded cill.
1st floor windows, single-light, bipartite at extreme right.
Sash windows; plate glass lower sashes, small pane upper
sashes. Continuous moulded cill band, mutule cornice, timber
modillions support swept eaves.
Elevation to Kirklee Road; full-height canted window to left
with parapet breaking through eaves; otherwise single-light
windows; tall wallhead stack to right. Piended bipartite
dormer with mutule cornice over canted bay. Bull-faced red
ashlar gabled flank.