G F Bodley, London, architect; 1903-4 (chancel and E part of
nave); H O Tarboltan, Edinburgh, 1915-16 (tower and W part of
church). Unfinished Gothic church, bull faced red ashlar with
polished margins, quoins and dressings.
W elevation; buttressed gable with large pointed arch
hood-moulded window with late 14th century reticulated
tracery. Wide flight of steps to pointed arch hoodmoulded
door. 3-stage tower to N, buttressed at angles. Lowest stage
with statue in niche to W. 2nd stage with 4 small traceried
blind openings, tall traceried pointed arch belfry openings
above. Corbel course with embattled parapet and 3rd stage.
S flank rendered brick, buttressed. N flank with incomplete
porch to W; single storey with sculpted parapet.
Interior: 5-bay nave separated from 2 N aisles by arcade with
clustered columns; 3-bay tower aisle with Lady Chapel to E
and small ogival recess to NW. Ribbed and panelled roof to
nave, flat panelled ceiling to main aisles, rood beam and
rood at chancel. Carved oak choir stalls and pulpit on marble
base. Elaborate chancel arch with gilded and painted
crucifixion. Organ in loft at NW. Carved oak font, 1893.
Virgin and child statue in niche in Lady Chapel by Eric Gill,
1915. Stained glass by arl Parsons, circa 1920. Pointed arch
ceiling to nave, coffered ceiling to aisles.
S flank rendered brick, buttressed.