Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

730 GREAT WESTERN ROAD; BOTANIC GARDENS, KIBBLE PALACELB32513

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Group Category Details
100000020 - See Notes
Date Added
15/12/1970
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 56938 67447
Coordinates
256938, 667447

Description

John Kibble, engineer. Originally erected 1863-6 at Coulport, Loch Long; removed here and enlarged 1873. Low ashlar base course; cast and wrought-iron, glass parabolic and domed winter garden, keyhole shaped on plan. To S elevation, centrally placed entrance porch with 2 pedimented timber doors. Long gallery to S. at right angles to main conservatory; centrally placed drum with hemispherical dome and cupola supported internally on ring girder and barley sugar cast-iron columns with foliate capitals and elaborate brackets. Arched passage leads to main conservatory; 150' in diameter spanned by saucer-shaped dome with cupola. Dome supported by 2 rings of columns detailed as above. Within 9 marble statue groups: King Robert of Sicily by G H Paulin, Cain by Roscoe Mullins. Eve by Scipione Tadolini, Ruth by Giovanni Ciniselli, Nubian Slave by A Rossetti. The Elf by Sir Goscombe John. Stepping Stones by W Thorneycroft, The Sisters by Bethany of Warrington Wood, Oriental Slave by Scipione Tadolini.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of Botanic Gardens B group. Oriental Slave by Scipione Tadolini broken by vandals a few years ago (September 1994). Seriously damaged and too expensive "in terms of labour" to repair. Surviving fragments believed to be in Kelvingrove Museum and Art Gallery (information from Parks and Museums Department of Glasgow District Council and the Dictionary of Scottish Artists).

References

Bibliography

Information from pamphlet produced by City of Glasgow: Parks and Recreation Dept. Additional information courtesy of Iain Paterson, City of Glasgow District Council.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 730 GREAT WESTERN ROAD; BOTANIC GARDENS, KIBBLE PALACE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 23/05/2019 21:49