James Thompson, architect; 1858. Classical symmetrical U-plan terrace comprising curved 24-bay bow (Nos 3-10 Crown Circus) with 2-bay pavilions returning to 5-bay flanks at N (15 and 17 Crown Road North) and at S (1 and 2 Crown Terrace).
Polished ashlar, channelled at ground, droved at basement; painted. 3 storeys, attics and basement. All basement openings depressed-arch with bold keystone. All windows with 4-pane sashes.
Nos 3-10 Crown Circus: curved terrace of 24 bays arranged 9-6-9 with 6-bay central pavilion at nos 6-7 3-bays per house. All ground floor openings flanked by Roman Doric columns on pedestals except at nos 6 and 7, which have pilasters. Steps oversailing basement to doorpiece;
double-leaf door with glazed fanlight. Doors to left at nos 3-6; at right nos 7-10. Columns/pilasters support full Doric entablature and mutule cornice; this acts as base to continuous ashlar balustraded balcony at 1st floor. 1st and 2nd floor windows in lugged architraves, corniced at 1st.
Central pavilion; continues design of terrace with some paired variations. Steps to paired central doorpieces. 1st floor windows flanked by canted oriels with pierced parapet. Balustraded parapet with pedestals and urn finials, piended dormers behind.
End pavilions: 2 bays to Crown Circus, detailed as main terrace. 5-bay flanks with 2-storey canted windows to outer bays, details as above. At nos 15-17 Crown Terrace, balustrade broken by round headed dormers. Tall corniced axial stacks, octagonal cans.
Rear elevations, coursed stugged ashlar, mainly multi-pane glazing.
Ashlar balustraded parapet to steps with square corniced ashlar piers. Decorative cast-iron railings to basement area. Whole terrace on raised ground above main road, with low coped ashlar retaining wall and wide flight of steps up to carriageway with tall square corniced piers linked by retaining wall with pierced balustrading above.
Low ashlar boundary walls to gardens and lane supporting spearhead cast-iron railings.